mango tree not fruiting

bangna63(Bangkok)July 25, 2014

I am located on the outskirts of Bangkok. I have a mango tree that refuses to fruit. here is what I can tell you:

1. 6 years old
2. circa 18 feet high
3. seemingly in good health, no bugs, leaf or trunk issues visible
4. pruned back heavily every couple of years
5. produced around 10 fruits in year 2 I think it was, but all fell off the size of a grape shortly after starting to develop
6. tree 3 doors down the road fruits prolifically. Possibly a different variety but certainly similar.

Anyone got any ideas? I am guessing this is a pruning issue but I am open to ideas from those better in the know.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tropicbreezent

Is it still flowering, or are there no flowers at all? Do you have photos?

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 9:58PM
bangna63(Bangkok)

No flowers since year 2. Here is a photo of the top from my first floor window, if you need a ful profile shot just say.

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 12:26AM
myamberdog

The tree certainly looks healthy.....

Do you use any fertilizer ? A large dose of Phosphorous and/or Potassium can often help blooming, and then the subsequent holding of fruits......also a thought -.when you prune to near the blooming cycle it will prevent flowering as well....

M.A.Dog

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 11:41PM
bangna63(Bangkok)

No, I have not used fertiliser. I will try that. The fruiting is coming to an end here soon so I will wait a short while then prune again. Thakks.

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 2:47AM
tropicbreezent

That's the best time to prune, at the end of wet season/start of the dry season. It's during the dry season that the tree sends all the nutrients up to the branches to get the flowers going. If you cut that off the plant has no more and so no flowers. With fertiliser, as suggested, phosphorus and potassium are good but don't give it much nitrogen because that produces a lot of leaves and causes flowers to fall.

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 7:38AM
sapote(10a)

Don't prune all the branches. Just cut off what you don't want and leave some branches for fruiting -- maybe it needs a year old branches to have flowers. Your three looks so healthy.

Sapote

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 3:11PM
myamberdog

Also, bangna - have the nitrogen be the smallest of the N-P-K fertilizer ratio, OK? The nitrogen stimulates mainly growth and you want to give the tree some messages to flower and fruit instead. Sounds like Phosphorous and Potassium are what it needs...

m.a.d.

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 5:41PM
stanofh

You're pruning off the flowering wood. Stop pruning and it should go back to fruiting.
UNLESS!..its seed grown not grafted. Then it could just be not good for fruiting. If it IS seed grown? Cut your losses now,and replace with a variety proven in your area.

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 11:53PM
tropicbreezent

It's pruning at the wrong time which becomes an issue, not the pruning in itself. I've cut back whole branches and had the stubs produce flowers. It's the timing.

Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 2:29AM
bangna63(Bangkok)

Thanks for all those ideas, seemingly a consensus on fertilizer profile and best pruning time. Is there a way to tell if a tree is from seed or grafted for a novice like me?

Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 2:47AM
bangna63(Bangkok)

Thanks for all those ideas, seemingly a consensus on fertilizer profile and best pruning time. Is there a way to tell if a tree is from seed or grafted for a novice like me?

Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 3:17AM
tropicbreezent

Grafted trees don't grow as tall as seed grown trees. Often you can see the scar low down on the trunk where the tree was grafted. But with your tree 6 years old it might not be so noticeable. Nearly all my trees are grafted but apart from the "stunted" look it's really not noticeable that they are. Do you have photos of the whole tree and also the lower part of the trunk?

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 6:33AM
bangna63(Bangkok)

I found out it is grafted. Also, it seems there is another house on the street that has the same problem with the exact same variety. To add insult toinjury, my wife told me I talked her out of the variety that was identical to the other tree in our street that produces thousands of fruit ! :-(

We bought the tree for shade rather than fruit so I will leave it there anyway rather than tearing up the patio, but I'll follow pruning and fertilising advice and see what happens. Thanks for all the input everyone.

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 10:20PM
More Discussions
Prune MIstake on Guava Tree
I thought my guava tree was dead. It had grown about...
Valdo
Maridol Papaya with large fruit growing in Hayward/SF bay area.
Grows On You.com has a photo posted by "Delonix" of...
stanofh
Photo of Hayward ca Papaya in the SF bay area
Proof of what I have never seen before. The owner told...
stanofh
Why Doesn't My Sapodilla Ripen?
My sapodilla tree has had a good crop of fist-sized...
billbrandi
I'm in heaven this fine morning!
Well fellow tropical fruit growers, I am in heaven...
msmorningsong
Sponsored Products
Uttermost Bridgely Aged Writing Desk
Beyond Stores
Signature Designs by Ashley Hindell Park Dark Brown Chest
Overstock.com
4" Solid Brass Wall Tile with Mango Design
Signature Hardware
Mango Circle Rings Double Gourd Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Butler Nuance Loft Chairside Chest - Butler Loft - 3347140
$209.00 | Hayneedle