What ate my columbine

penny1947(z6 WNY)April 23, 2009

I have one native columbine in my front bed. It was my largest one and filling out really well. The others on the side are just starting to leaf out. I just went to look at it this morning and it has been eaten right down to the ground Yesterday it was full of foilage today there is nothing at all. Anyone have any ideas what could have eaten it? There are no stems or leaves laying on the ground. It was a neat culprit and left no tell tale clues.

Penny

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Carol_from_ny

Take a pick..........deer, groundhog, chipmunk they all are leaf eaters and will destroy entire plants.

Bookmark   April 23, 2009 at 2:58PM
gottagarden(z5 western NY)

@#$%^$#@ animals! You should see what the voles did to my flower beds this year when they were hiding under that mountain of snow. Now the deer are eating anything that's left. I feel your pain.

Bookmark   April 26, 2009 at 7:57AM
rosalinda_gw

I have something that just eats the leaves off the stems, and usually just the smaller plants. I have no idea what is doing it, but the cats are usually good about keeping the small rodents under control, so maybe a rabbit? Fortunately mine seem to recover, though if they ate them down to the ground I am not sure they would. Have you tried dog hair and/or moth balls around the plants?

Bookmark   May 16, 2009 at 4:25PM
penny1947(z6 WNY)

Haven't done dog hair or moth balls. I did put a little wire fence around the columbine and it has recovered. None of the other native columbines were bothered. Maybe whatever it was decided it didn't like columbine after it ate the first one.

Penny

Bookmark   May 16, 2009 at 4:35PM
cvance1939_netzero_net

i have no animinals in my flower bed what is eating the leaves?

Bookmark   May 22, 2011 at 6:05PM
penny1947(z6 WNY)

What kind of plants are being eaten? A couple of possibilities come to mind....inch worms (they just defoliated my one big columbine over the week end) and slugs would be my other guess.

Penny

Bookmark   May 23, 2011 at 4:26PM
lori_ny(5)

I buy Garlic Powder at the Dollar General store and sprinkle it all over my columbine leaves. If I don't, chipmunks devour each stem!

Bookmark   June 1, 2011 at 9:14AM
penny1947(z6 WNY)

Thanks for that little tip lori. I had not thought to just sprinkle garlic powder out there. In did have something eat all the leaves of the one columbine that was originally spared and I saw tiny green worms all over it. Someone told me they were inch worms. Anyway that was the on.ly columbine that bloomed this year. None of the others bloomed. I did end up spraying all of them after I found the worms with my own citrus based spray and added gharlic powder to it and that seemed to have gotten rid of the little green worms.

Penny

Bookmark   June 1, 2011 at 1:44PM
More Discussions
website change
why did they change the format for this site? it is...
jerome69
Need INVASIVE plant advice. Help!
I have an area at the back of my yard that has troubled...
tastefullyjulie
Favorite Nursery in Capital Region
What's your favorite and why? Where is it located? I...
GardenMomma11
WANTED: Group exchange in Utica/Rome area?
Hi all -- I know there are at least a few members who...
party_music50
Brown Recluse Spiders~WARNING!!!
Yes. They DO live in NY State. Have for quite some...
thosedarnsqurls
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™