Babaco question

karyn1(7a)July 17, 2010

This is the first year I'm trying babacos. I noticed that one of mine has flowers. If they hold how long does it take for the fruit to mature? Is it similar to other papayas? I'm surprised that they are growing so well because we had an unbelievably hot spring and summer with temps averaging in the mid to upper 90's for the past month or two. Most papayas do well here (in the greenhouse during the cold months) but babacos aren't supposed to like high heat. At least that's what I've read.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stanofh

I have some old Babaco's that bore well..but they got overgrown after nearly 10 years by trees..so I moved them last summer. We had freakish cold two nights in December-before they were dormant and they were killed from 10' to 3'.
Now, back when they were in sun and bore papaya's the problem I had was the fruit took a long time to develop,they were large fruits, and right about the time they should have been ripe by my guess-January,we are well into our cold rainy season. Every year I would lose some to rot,or a blustery storm easily snapped stems with fruit. In a very mild winter I would get fruit that were blaw in flavor-but the tree's look great!

Bookmark   July 20, 2010 at 4:28PM
More Discussions
Lychee Mauritius finally blooming ....
My 10-year old Lychee Mauritius is finally in bloom....
bananafan
source for uncommon lychee trees
Anyone know of a nursery that will ship. looking for...
lycheeluva
White Sapote in a container?
Hi, Is it possible for a white Sapote in a container...
fleabernal1983
Tips on rooting wax jambu
Hi Everyone, I'm attempting to root some cuttings from...
stu123
Old problem with Miracle fruit plants
Hi everyone here! I've been trying to grow miracle...
swfx
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™