How to prune a Lychee

organic_montyJuly 8, 2010

Hi Everyone,

This is our first year with our Lychee trees and we are not quite sure the best way to cut the fruit off our trees. Can we "kill 2 birds with one stone" and cut the fruit and prune at the same time? We have been cutting the fruit panicle off along with about 3 inches of branch (the part that has leaves). Some we are cutting even further back, just depends on the branch and the shape. We have 20+ Lychee trees and this seems the best method for our current situation, we surely don't have time to cut the fruit off and then go back and "prune" the tree again. If I need to post some pictures I will, I really appreciate the help!!

Thanks!

Johnna

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mango_kush

to answer your question simply, Yes, you can.

some people do, actually pruning their trees to about 4 foot every year. the next years fruit all come on new growth. they prune this time of year after harvesting fruit and the trees normally go dormant around November.
visit Going Bananas, Don and Katie grow acres of Mauritius this way and will be happy to show you first hand everything they do.

some people like Harry like to let their lychee trees grow. most grow to be large upright trees, some cultivars are smaller. lychee limbs are prone to wind breakage.

Bookmark   July 8, 2010 at 10:43AM
organic_monty

Thanks mango kush.......I saw an old post of yours about Don and Katie and how they do a hard prune every year. I'll have to make the trip down there and see their operation, sounds like they have a good system for our climate.

Thanks again for the help!

Johnna

Bookmark   July 8, 2010 at 11:47AM
mango_kush

Jonathan Crane makes some excellent videos on pruning and mulching lychee trees

Here is a link that might be useful: youtube

Bookmark   July 11, 2010 at 11:17AM
More Discussions
Sick Passionfruit Leaves
Hi Any clue about this leaves disorder? It looks like...
jalilu
Is my tree a Sapote or a Sapodilla?
Hello, I am new to this forum and growing tropical...
waterfowler90
problem with carica papaya seedling survival
Hi I live in a temperate zone, have a large conservatory,...
marcyoung
Need help choosing containers for red maradol papaya
Hi friends, I am planning to start red maradol papaya...
vidnand
Lychee Mauritius finally blooming ....
My 10-year old Lychee Mauritius is finally in bloom....
bananafan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™