Langsat vs Longkong??

tyler_j(6a)July 28, 2011

I was at the local asian market yesterday and bought what was either langsat or longkong. Unfortunately they weren't labeled and no one working there that day new what they were. They were very tasty though!!! I believe they were langsat as there was a definite hint of grapefruit flavor that I later read in a description of langsat. Does Longkong taste similar? Does it also have a hint of grapefruit taste also?? Of course I planted 4 large green seeds that I salvaged from the bunch of fruit so I was wondering which variety it was. Pictures of longkong and langsat look similar.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ohiojay(z6 OH)

WHERE IS THIS FREAKING MARKET??!!! Crap! How fortunate you are to be able to obtain such treasures.

Langsat and longkong are very similar. Longkong has less latex after peeling. They are often seedless or having only a few. The Thais favor the longkong and it is widely becoming more popular elsewhere.

You aren't going to be disappointed in either.

Bookmark   July 28, 2011 at 12:51PM
tyler_j(6a)

Thanks for the reply Jay. Whatever it was it was tasty and will be back for more. I'm in London, ON and yes.. very fortunate to have this store here. Now I just need a greenhouse like yours :).

Bookmark   July 28, 2011 at 1:09PM
ohiojay(z6 OH)

Well...there is an old saying in Thailand I believe concerning langsats. You plant them for your grandchildren!! They are very very slow.

Bookmark   July 28, 2011 at 2:59PM
More Discussions
soursop tree
Hello, we have some young soursop trees and they have...
cee8
My Chikoo (Sapodilla) is flowering!
Hello everyone! I am glad to see how my young tree...
MohammadLawati
Lychee like grapes
I just sat down reading some of the forum posts with...
zone10aridgardener
Need help/advice on dwarf tropical trees
Hello everyone! So I live in WI and am trying to pull...
sjpickart
Rehabilitated Mango
Hello; this is a mango that has been in our yard for...
BahamaDan ZTropic
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™