Can production affect Glenn mango flavor?

wardog25July 15, 2014

My Glenn mango is about 3 years old and grows like crazy. Last year, since the tree was small, I only let it give 3 mangoes and they were amazing.

This year I got greedy and let it give 25 mangoes (5 I ate green), but now that we are eating the ripe ones, they are still good but they don't seem quite as sweet as last years.

Did I let it bear too many? The tree would set 50 or more if I let it, but I pull a lot off when they are pea-sized. Even so, I'm just wondering if having a 3-yr old tree give 25 mangoes was too much and affected the flavor. Is that possible?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Its possible...but to be honest at 3 years old the tree is still very young and immature and not consistant. It takes about 5-7 years before its considered mature, closer to 10 years. You may have let it set too many fruits at 3 years old...but likely the cause of the fruits taste/flavor might have more to do with your weather, rainfall and or watering habits...

Also, sometimes mango flavors change from year to year... varying in flavors again more to do with your climate and environment...too much rainfall or watering practices can sometimes make the flavor "washed" out or watery...while drier conditions should make the flavors more intense...just my personal experience with my Glenn and other mangoes I have...

Bookmark   July 16, 2014 at 1:59PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wardog25

Ok, thanks!

Bookmark   July 17, 2014 at 4:38PM
More Discussions
Rehabilitated Mango
Hello; this is a mango that has been in our yard for...
BahamaDan ZTropic
source for uncommon lychee trees
Anyone know of a nursery that will ship. looking for...
lycheeluva
Tips on rooting wax jambu
Hi Everyone, I'm attempting to root some cuttings from...
stu123
when mexican mangoes reach peak season?
i have a chance to go to mexico and i wanna go when...
poch1989
Sick Passionfruit Leaves
Hi Any clue about this leaves disorder? It looks like...
jalilu
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™