planting milkweed seeds for monarch butterflys

jerome69(6)April 15, 2013

has anyone grown milkweed plants to feed the larvae of the monarch butterfly? it seems that the monarchs are dwindling due to the lack of a food source. (herbicides)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindalou(z5 NY)

i will be planting for the first time this year. in fact, i just ordered 10 milkweed plants. :)

Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 6:10AM
jerome69(6)

to lindalou; where did you order them from?could not find any info on where to plant them,such as sun and soil conditions. thanks

Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 6:35AM
lindalou(z5 NY)

livemonarch.com has all the info you will need. you can order plants for $1 each and seeds for much less. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: great monarch info

Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 7:11AM
penny1947(z6 WNY)

I perchased Asclepias incarnata 'Cinderella' a couple of years ago from Menne's Nursery on Niagara Falls Blvd in Amherst. I had several cats on it the very first year but I think the birds may have gotten them.
Penny

Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 10:45AM
lovetogarden(z4 NY)

I have common milkweed growing all over my property. I never cut it down, even if it grows in a flower bed. It really is a butterfly magnet. Not only have I seen Monarch butterflies attracted to it but other varieties of butterflies too. I also have other varieties of Milkweed but the butterflies don't seem to be as attracted to them as they are to the common variety.

Bookmark   April 20, 2013 at 1:15AM
lori_ny(5)

They come up in my vegetable garden every year so I'm lucky. I let a dozen live scattered amongst the plants. It drives my husband batty but I love the smell of them and love the monarchs.

Last year I saw the prettiest thing. I was crouched down weeding and perched on one of the milkweeds big leaves was a baby tree frog. It was beautiful:)

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 9:09AM
More Discussions
Asiatic Lilly buds gone
It happened last year and I just noticed again today....
wantoretire_did
growing thick stocky stems on tomatoes
how do the commercial growers get their tomatoes to...
jerome69
Hummingbirds are back! and hungry!!!
I've had my feeders out for awhile and am finally seeing...
party_music50
ID Critter photo
Oops, need more coffee.
wantoretire_did
I have a severe case of spring fever - you?
Seeds are almost all arrived, and this weekend I plan...
ridgetop01
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™