Hummingbird Migration Update

penny1947(z6 WNY)April 16, 2011

Rexford, Johnstown, Stanfordville and Rochester all have confirmed sightings. If you are in around or within an hour of each of these sightings please hang a feeder up now they are pushing northward and with our unseasonably lower than normal temps will have a difficult time finding naural food resources and will need a little help.

Penny

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindalou(z5 NY)

mine has been up and i am going to lowes today, to buy three more, until i can get my plants in and blooming. hope we all see some soon.

Bookmark   April 17, 2011 at 9:03AM
penny1947(z6 WNY)

I have two feeders up right now. One in front and one in back. Please only use plain sugar water and not the commercial nectar that has red dye. If you don't already make your own the recipe is 1 part sugar to 4 parts water.

Keep us posted.

Penny

Bookmark   April 17, 2011 at 9:10AM
breenthumb

I was surprised to see this post last week. Mothers day snuck up on me this year (busy, plus the weather) and that's usually when I see the first ones. Sure enough--had one at the feeder today.

Bookmark   May 8, 2011 at 12:56AM
penny1947(z6 WNY)

Well HAPPY MOTHERS' Day! What a great way to start the day! I had a migrant male pass through last week but still waiting on one to stick around.

Penny

Bookmark   May 8, 2011 at 7:13AM
nyvoices99

I got my first 1 May 4th, I was ready but they sure snuck up on me, as did missing watching the map:( It was about the 2nd when I looked at it the first time & they had moved right in on me, will do better next year:)Anita

Bookmark   May 13, 2011 at 5:47AM
penny1947(z6 WNY)

Still waiting in N. Tonawanda

Bookmark   May 13, 2011 at 8:14AM
rosalinda_gw

Got my feeders up the other day, but haven't seen or heard a hummer since. There are some enormous bees around. Saw one today I thought was a hummer it was so big. The hummers will be around any time now, fighting and dancing and complaining with their constant chittering in annoyance - bless their little hearts.

-Rosalinda

Bookmark   May 13, 2011 at 11:45AM
penny1947(z6 WNY)

I have also seen a few of the large carpenter bees espcially on those few very warm days we had. Still no hummers at my place.

Penny

Bookmark   May 15, 2011 at 6:12AM
rosalinda_gw

Mine are back. Heard one yesterday but didn't see it. Early this morning heard it chittering away and saw it on the feeder. Nice to have them back.

-Rosalinda

Bookmark   May 15, 2011 at 2:06PM
party_music50

The males are back here (Utica/Rome) and they are HUNGRY! They have been sitting at the feeders for 5 or 10 minutes at a time since the wee hours Sunday morning. :)

Bookmark   May 16, 2011 at 6:25AM
penny1947(z6 WNY)

I had two males show up last night and a female but I believe it was just a stop over for the night. The two males sat side by side at the feeder and the female was at another feeder. This morning I saw one male tanking up for a very long time as was the female just at dawn. Haven't seen any of them since. Hopefully those that have always been in this area will come along and decide to stick around. I still have nothing blooming except for a few random blooms on the coral bells and the native columbine
Penny

Bookmark   May 16, 2011 at 7:44AM
Whall1717_gmail_com

I saw my first hummingbird at 630 am on may 30th 2011 ! It caught me off gaurd and thought it was a big bubbly bee ! I need to go to the store and get new feeders . Somebody wrote use clear liquid only and I don't know the reason why . I figure that I will get the premade stuff

Bookmark   May 30, 2011 at 6:52AM
penny1947(z6 WNY)

Billy,
the premade nectar uses Red dye #40 and is suspected of causing liver damage to our already dwindling hummingbird population. It is also showing up in our honey bee honey combs making the honey completely useless and it has to be thrown away. I moderate a hummingbird forum and we have a couple of field experts/banders that are members of our forum besides just everyday folks. We encourage people NOT to use the pre-made nectar but to use plain sugar water. 1 part sugar to either 3 or 4 parts water. The plain sugar water is closer to natural nectar and doesn't have any unnecessary chemicals that can cause harm to hummingbirds. Our local populations are are becoming more scarce over the years. Please reconsider your decision to use the premade junk. A 5# bag of sugar is a lot cheaper than buying the premade stuff. I can make many gallons of nectar from a bag of sugar.

Penny

Bookmark   May 30, 2011 at 7:06AM
More Discussions
Best farmers markets in Erie/Niagara?
While most of the posters and lurkers on this forum...
tomtuxman
Freeze warning
Hey Central NY! Get out there and pick the last of...
booberry85
Brown Recluse Spiders~WARNING!!!
Yes. They DO live in NY State. Have for quite some...
thosedarnsqurls
ID this Critter?
These are showing up on my Joe Pye Weed in the early...
wantoretire_did
HAVE: N. Rome: U-dig Lily of the Valley
I have a gorgeous thick patch (or two :) of Lily of...
party_music50
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™