What are you favorite grape and cherry tomatoes?

FlowerGardener(Z4 MN)April 27, 2013

I have grown Juliet grape tomato and Sungold cherry tomato with good results. Would like to try some others so post which ones you like.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)
    Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 3:40PM
FlowerGardener(Z4 MN)

Thanks Dave those links have lots of info.

Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 4:44PM
carolync1(z8/9 CA inland)

A little sparse on grape tomato recommendations in the threads above. I grew Burpee's Napa Grape one year, and it maintained its taste into cool fall weather better than most of the varieties which still survived. Chocolate Cherry was also nice in the fall (picked with green shoulders), though I wasn't overly impressed by it in summer.

Ildi is recommended for fall storage (cut trusses and hang them in a cool place before frost). Golden Honey Bunch and Tami G are grapes recommended by someone trusted by many on this forum.

Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 6:12PM
sautesmom

Am I that someone, LOL???
Seeds of Golden Honey Bunch are hard to find, I bought mine at Stoke's. I have tried almost all the red gapes that are out there, and Tami-G is top of my list. PLANTS of Tami-G are actually showing up at our local Lowe's, from Bonnie seeds under the name of "Bonnie's Best Tami-G". Sugary is also fabulous and always on my permanent list, as are Green Grape and Black Cherry. I like Sweet Million Better than Sweet 100. And Sungold, of course, is always the first tomato to be planted at my house.

Carla in Sac

Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 9:47PM
keski(6)

My favorite is Chocolate Cherry, available from Livingston Seed and Totally Tomatoes. Everyone I've given plants to, adores them. They are great slow roasted and marinated.
Keski

Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 7:40AM
carolync1(z8/9 CA inland)

You're the one, Carla. It would be convenient if (red) Honey Bunch Grape were also one of your favorites. Would be easy to remember. "Sweet" with a little honey flavor and "early" seem to be the primary descriptors of the red one. I think there's also a (red) Honey Bunch cherry, just to make things a little more challenging. Is Golden Honey Bunch special for something other than sweetness?

I'm going to be trying some small tomatoes (larger than cherries) in the next couple of years, so maybe I can return with some meaningful Valley recommendations someday.

This post was edited by carolync1 on Thu, May 2, 13 at 8:09

Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 2:30PM
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

Black Cherry

Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 2:51PM
sautesmom

I also like Golden Honey Bunch because it pumps out the tomatoes until frost. Apparently Territorial is also selling seeds AND plants this year, this link has a photo of the "bunch"

Carla in Sac

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.territorialseed.com/product/11633/403

Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 3:23PM
tdscpa(z5 NWKS)

Cherry: Black Cherry
Grape: Sprite.

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 2:37AM
FlowerGardener(Z4 MN)

Well I have decided on the following for this year that were available from local garden centers as plants. Red pearl grape and the following cherry sungold, sweet 'n' neat yellow dwarf and sweet million.

Bookmark   May 10, 2013 at 12:48PM
fcivish(Zone 6 Utah)

Sungold
Sweet 100s
Isis Candy
Black Cherry
Little Lucky
Rose Quartz
Jaune Flamme (Kind of oval shaped. Perhaps a bit big to be called a Cherry, but produces like it was a cherry.)
Green Zebra (Also a bit big to be a cherry, but definitely elongated/oval and quite productive.)

This post was edited by fcivish on Thu, Jun 20, 13 at 1:46

Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 1:33AM
michelliot(z7 ny)

Sungold, if you have the room and can eat them fast enough. I still have golden tomato sauce from last years harvest because I had to do something with them.

Elliot

Bookmark   June 21, 2013 at 10:12AM
christacharlene(6)

I love Tommy Toes and Sunsugar. I tried Sungold but I still prefer sunsugar. They taste very similar but I think that Sungold has a thicker skin...not something that I care for. Next year I think I might try Black Cherry.

Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 3:53PM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

I have grown some in the past. I guess they were just generic. This year I have 4 different kinds. But I have to wait to find out which one is my favorite. lol

Bookmark   July 4, 2013 at 1:52AM
bobincentralMA

Hi, well ...size doesn't matter. They may be small but they pack a punch and are delicious and addictive ~ try Matt's Wild Cherry. A micro small one but you'll be eating half of what you pick along the way. Heavy producer. I went from growing one to four plants this year as everyone loved them too. Peace

Bookmark   July 13, 2013 at 9:45PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

bump

Bookmark   February 3, 2015 at 6:44PM
More Discussions
Black Pineapple Tomato (aka Ananas Noire): Verdict
Just picked my first black pineapple tomato and ate...
Edymnion
Rio Grande Tomato
Okay got a quick question but can't seem to find the...
brenzo77
Georges chocolate tomato?
Anyone heard of Georges chocolate tomato?
skyblue52
How soon would you fertilize after grafting tomatoes?
I grafted on Saturday February 21st. The tomatoes are...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
New To Me .. Big Beef
I know there are some of you who are/have been growing...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™