What soil/fertilizer should be used for my vegetable garden?

uawsn(5)April 5, 2012

I bought a house and the previous owner had 200 sqft of land for vegetables last year. So this year what should I do to prepare for the upcoming season?

First thing I can think of is to dig out the land and add some organic matter /compost for the fertilization. I found the topsoil here:

http://www.troyslandscapesupply.com/BulkMaterial.html

Is these topsoil having sufficient organic fertilizer for the vegetables? Do I also need to add sth like chicken manure?

Thanks,

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jerome69(6)

i had the same question and probably will just get another load of compost.don't know where you live but i get mine from the town of amherst compost facility. it was bought by the company (krantz). they raised the prices but still not bad.used it in the past.they will load a truck and sell it by the bag.

Bookmark   April 6, 2012 at 6:46AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
susanzone5(z5NY)

I would mix in an organic ready made fertilizer. The one I used last year came in pellet form in a bag. It was a combo of things like potash, bone meal, rock phosphate, etc. Compost itself is just one source of some nutrients. It's main use is making the soil nice and loose and ready for soil organisms. After planting, I use Miracle Grow spray once in a while.

I don't use anyone's compost in my food garden because I have no clue what was in it. Last organic bag I bought had half of an old glittery shoelace mixed in.

Bookmark   April 7, 2012 at 1:02PM
More Discussions
brugmansia
I absolutely love the looks of these trumpet plants,...
younggreenthumb47
Brown Recluse Spiders~WARNING!!!
Yes. They DO live in NY State. Have for quite some...
thosedarnsqurls
Favorite Nursery in Capital Region
What's your favorite and why? Where is it located? I...
GardenMomma11
Freeze warning
Hey Central NY! Get out there and pick the last of...
booberry85
Asiatic Lilly buds gone
It happened last year and I just noticed again today....
wantoretire_did
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™