First year fruiting pineapple.

notascrenameJuly 11, 2014

I started this pineapple last year from a pineapple I grew. I thought they all took 2 years to fruit. I did notice it grew rapidly from the crown planting and continued over the winter in the greenhouse. I potted it up to its current home in April. Call me curios,Jim

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gnappi

It's unusual from my perspective, most of mine fruited in the second year so whatever you're doing keep it up!

Not one of the 10 or so i have looks as good as yours.

Bookmark   July 11, 2014 at 7:34PM
oldfixer

My planted top is now 6 years old, and only has leaves.

Bookmark   July 11, 2014 at 7:40PM
houstontexas123(z9a)

usually 2 or more years here in the 48. with year round warm temps, like being in a greenhouse, they can fruit sooner. the size of the plant also matters. yours looks like a 2-3 year old plant. great color and shine on the leaves.

of the 10 or so i've planted over the years only about 3 of them have actually fruited.

Bookmark   July 11, 2014 at 9:48PM
tropicbreezent

Commercially fruiting is usually initiated by gassing so that they develop and can be harvested all at the same time. In the home you can put an apple in with them, it only takes very little gas (ethylene) to start the process. Acetylene gas is also used. Smoke from fires usually has some of the gasses which will initiate flowering in pineapples so if the plants have been exposed to that there's a chance they'll flower early. So if you want to force it, putting a plastic bag over the plant and placing some apples inside is probably the easiest way. Of course, if the plant isn't old enough for it you can end up with dwarfed fruit.

Bookmark   July 12, 2014 at 9:02PM
More Discussions
Rehabilitated Mango
Hello; this is a mango that has been in our yard for...
BahamaDan ZTropic
source for uncommon lychee trees
Anyone know of a nursery that will ship. looking for...
lycheeluva
when mexican mangoes reach peak season?
i have a chance to go to mexico and i wanna go when...
poch1989
WTB Wax Jambu, Star fruit and Barbados Cherry cuttings
Want to buy (WTB) cuttings of the following plants Star...
poetie
The Freeze in Central Florida!
The most top branches, the last 3 inches or so suffered...
seagel
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™