Baby avocado seedling

a_shau(San Francisco 8b)July 16, 2014

Hello all, I have successfully rooted this avocado pit and after a couple of week it's finally starting to grow leaves as well. My question is - the root is starting to hit against the bottom of this glass. Should I transfer the pit to an even larger container (like a vase) or should I let it just curl around the bottom (seems cruel)?

Any additional advice also appreciated. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Suzi AKA DesertDance

I'm no avocado expert, but I started one like that, and just let the tap root circle. Eventually I potted it in well drained potting soil / perlite mix and put it in a partially shaded planter on a drip system outside. This spring it got planted in full sun, in ground. It lost a few leaves, looked around, decided it could make it, and is now growing many new leaves and branches.

The variety is Zutano. We bought a few avocados from a fruit stand in Fresno, CA which has a similar growing climate to here. It will be years before it fruits, but it's fun knowing it's something we grew!

Bookmark   July 16, 2014 at 6:06PM
steiconi(12a-Big Island, HI)

The parent fruit may have been Zutano, but seedling avocados don't match the parent, even if both parents were the same tree.

It's still fun to grow the tree. The fruit may be good, might not. If nothing else, you can graft a branch of a favorite avocado onto the young tree.

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 12:07AM
Suzi AKA DesertDance

Yes, I know it's not likely to be a Zutano, and we purchased a grafted avocado, but that one never made it, so this year we'll try again.

I just walked out to see our baby Zutano, and discovered it has fallen off it's stake, so thanks for this thread. We will be tying it back today.

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 2:35PM
More Discussions
Avocado Help
Hello everyone, I recently started gardening as a hobbie....
Steelsax2015
Need help/advice on dwarf tropical trees
Hello everyone! So I live in WI and am trying to pull...
sjpickart
Need help choosing containers for red maradol papaya
Hi friends, I am planning to start red maradol papaya...
vidnand
White Sapote in a container?
Hi, Is it possible for a white Sapote in a container...
fleabernal1983
Sick Passionfruit Leaves
Hi Any clue about this leaves disorder? It looks like...
jalilu
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™