leaf mulch (veg. garden)

jerome69(6)May 6, 2011

placed about 4-5 inches over my veg. garden last fall to prevent weeds.,covered with black plastic.leafs didn't decompose. can i leave it in place and just clear a area of about 1 ft. in dia.for each plant?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rosalinda_gw

Probably covering it with the plastic delayed the decomposition, though unless leaves are ground up they can take some time to break down. That said, moving them aside and planting will probably work without a problem. It might take the soil a bit more time to warm up - though the black plastic should have taken care of that issue. Ruth Stout used to cover her entire veg garden with any organic matter she could get her hands on, and never tilled it - just added more mulch each year, pushed it aside to plant seed or seedlings, and pushed it back around the plants once they were up. (The Ruth Stout No-Work Garden Book)

-Rosalinda

Bookmark   May 6, 2011 at 11:28AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
penny1947(z6 WNY)

The plastic probably kept the leaves drier and as Rosalinda said slowed down the decomposition. We use that method to overwinter semi hardy plants and keep them drier over the winter. The black plastic will make the soil warm sooner. You can leave the leaf mulch in place and just move it around to plant. It will eventually decompose. Hasten it by putting some top soil or compost over the leaves.

Penny

Bookmark   May 8, 2011 at 7:31AM
More Discussions
Help with ID this plant
We visited Rockport Maine in September and noticed...
p.polyxenes
Help with Viburnum... Wentworth Cranberrybush
Hello... I'm new to this site so please bear with me....
Greeneyezz
Does anyone have Dracunculus vulgaris? (Dragon Lily)?
I'm wondering if it's going to have survived this intensely...
ridgetop01
Favorite Nursery in Capital Region
What's your favorite and why? Where is it located? I...
GardenMomma11
Free Seed Swap & Giveaway Victor NY April 04 2015
Seed Exchange & Seed Giveaway April 04, 2015 10:00...
mrsdlight
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™