Abiu Tasted

hmhausman(FL 10B)July 23, 2011

Well, after many years of waiting, I finally got to try one of my seedling Abiu fruits. They are a little bigger than a tennis ball and appealing in color and shape. I was a little unsure when to pick them so I am still experimenting with that. I think I have 8 fruits to fiddle with. From Jul 17, 2011 From Jul 17, 2011 From July 22, 2011 From July 22, 2011

There was a slight amount of latex near the skin...something I hear is more pronounced when the fruit is underripe. The flesh away from the skin was smooth textured and very sweet. I wouldn't call the flesh creamy in the sense of cherimoya or atemoya. It has a more gelatinous consistancy. It had two seeds which were longer and thinner than I remember other Abiu seeds to have been. Overall, a very nice refreshing tasting fruit. If it fruits now every year, I'll be very pleased.

Harry

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pj1881(10a PBC Fla.)

Sounds great! Whats the coldest temps that tree has seen? I live in WPB, FL, and Im considering planting one out next spring, its currently in a three gallon.

Bookmark   July 23, 2011 at 1:56PM
sleep(10a/b)

Sounds very good . ... ...

So many interesting fruit trees, and no more room to plant them .. :(

Bookmark   July 23, 2011 at 3:06PM
hmhausman(FL 10B)

Patrick:

We had a few hours of 28-29F two years ago. They had some leaf burn and some small branch die back but they survived.

Harry

Bookmark   July 23, 2011 at 3:30PM
jacob13

Hey Harry,

That is so Awesome. I have been wanting to try an Abiu ever since I learned about them a couple of years ago. Congratulations! Other than being sweet, what was the flavor Profile like? Was the consistency more like Flan or what would you say?

Thanks for sharing and for the great pics. Truly inspiring.

Jacob

Bookmark   July 23, 2011 at 4:03PM
red_sea_me

Congrats Harry,
sounds like a wonderful fruit and since it is from seed, a new cultivar! Any idea how long it was from seed?

-Ethan

Bookmark   July 23, 2011 at 5:53PM
rayandgwenn(z11 Puerto Rico)

I was wondering how you would like Abiu.
I also like it, kind of reminds me of caimito, but better tasting and less sticky/mushy. It is a keeper for me.
I have 2 trees that were from seed. Each tree fruits consistently once a year plus the odd fruit on and off throughout the year. My two tree fruit differently shaped and on slightly different flowering cycles.

Bookmark   July 23, 2011 at 7:48PM
mangodog(palm springs 9B)

I've never tasted one, so it's probably ridiculous to ask," what do they taste like"?

LOL

MD

Bookmark   July 23, 2011 at 7:56PM
bsbullie

growth habits and tastes will be different when grown in different countries. Hell, they could very well be different when grown in neighboring counties/cities. A lot of factors go into it, climate, soil, nutrients, etc. Thee Julie mango is a well known example of this (grown in its native island vs. grown on Florida).

Bookmark   July 23, 2011 at 8:02PM
jfernandez(10B)

Hi Harry

the abiu looks pretty creamy they look like my suebelle any lemony taste like the sapotes?

JF

Bookmark   July 23, 2011 at 8:58PM
tropicalgrower89(10b)

Nice! Did the taste have any hint of caramel?

Bookmark   July 23, 2011 at 10:01PM
ch3rri(z6 PA)

Mmmmm....look so yummy. It's a nice looking fruit. Wish your tree will produce more so I can buy some to try....hehehe.:)

Bookmark   July 23, 2011 at 11:07PM
abayomi

Rayandgwenn
How long did fruiting from seed take? My seeds collected in Australia haven't germinated yet.

Bookmark   July 24, 2011 at 7:20AM
rayandgwenn(z11 Puerto Rico)

I bought them as little seedling trees- so I assume they were about a year old when I got them. Mine started setting some flowers after 3 yrs in the ground but only started producing fruit 4 years. But I hear that is very quick. I think Harry was waited much longer for his.

Bookmark   July 24, 2011 at 7:45AM
Comprotutto(Miami Beach)

The tree looks very healthy and the fruit well developed. It looks delicious.

I cannot say the same for the Abiu tree I planted recently which has developed some brown spots on the leaves despite new growth. I will try to post pics. Maybe you guys can help me out figure what the cause could be. I live on Miami beach and have sandy soil. Could it be anthracnose?

Bookmark   August 16, 2012 at 8:59AM
Comprotutto(Miami Beach)

here are the pics

Bookmark   August 16, 2012 at 10:13AM
Comprotutto(Miami Beach)

tree is probably 4 feet tall

Bookmark   August 16, 2012 at 10:14AM
jfernandez(10B)

Comprotutto where are you located?

Bookmark   August 16, 2012 at 10:06PM
Comprotutto(Miami Beach)

Hi Jeff. Thanks for taking the time to review! I am in Surfside squeezed between miami beach and sunny isles

Bookmark   August 19, 2012 at 10:00AM
jfernandez(10B)

Hi Tutto
Your Abiu looks fine. The burns and the yellowing of the leaves may be an iron deficiency?? I really don't know. You want to post this question to Harry or Noel Ramos those two have beautiful fruiting Abiu trees and they are in South Florida. Here is a pic of mine in Southern California. I've had it for 4 weeks:

Bookmark   August 21, 2012 at 8:14PM
Comprotutto(Miami Beach)

I guess it is lack of nutrients as the leaves of my tree are way lighter than yours. Thanks for posting

Bookmark   August 24, 2012 at 10:35PM
More Discussions
Why Doesn't My Sapodilla Ripen?
My sapodilla tree has had a good crop of fist-sized...
billbrandi
source for uncommon lychee trees
Anyone know of a nursery that will ship. looking for...
lycheeluva
Where to purchase Seedless Guava Tree that ships to CA?
Hello everyone, last month, my uncle brough me two...
simon_grow
Old problem with Miracle fruit plants
Hi everyone here! I've been trying to grow miracle...
swfx
Avocado leaves dying
I've been growing two avocado plants for about 10 months...
leuconoe
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™