Advise for my Colorado Pineapple

ColopineappleJuly 29, 2014

So two years ago, I got the bright idea to plant a pineapple top and see if it would grow. Well it grew and grew. It spends winter indoors with my orange tree under 12 on, 12 off six hundred watt SH lights and then lives on my back porch in the summer time. Well a few weeks ago it would seem to be putting out a flower. I have read that the fruit won't be ripe and ready to harvest till Feb. or March. So I would love any advise that you tropical pineapple growers might have for me. Like, what should I be feeding it, should I try to transplant into a larger pot, and how many hours of light a day should I give it when I move it back inside, or should I not put in artificial light this Sept and leaving in a window where it will be on a natural light cycle? Any advise or comments would be helpful.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Colopineapple

more photo

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 1:24PM
notascrename

That looks great! I got started w/pineapple about the same way. The container looks plenty big .Before fertigation and row covers and tanks of bubbling stuff, pineapple was fertilized by hand with granulated 8-8-8 garden fertilizer. I would work in a couple heaping Tbs. now and repeat in a month. then I would go to 3 Tbs. every three months (Yes, they are hungry little boogers). It will start to put out suckers after you start feeding it, it's up to you whether to leave them or not. suckers will grow fruit if you keep feeding it. give it a Tbs. of epsom salts now should be good. DON'T overwater, these things are semi-arid land plants, spray them down, they absorb water at the leaf axils. Let us know how it grows, Jim

Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 4:59PM
tropicbreezent

They like the strongest light possible, like sunlight. Normally they flower in the dry season (winter) and ripen into the hotter weather. You're doing it in reverse so you'll want to keep up that heat and light as much as possible. With fertiliser don't give it anything too strong. You're better off giving it weak doses ,more frequently. Hold back on any nitrogen. They don't need a lot of pot room and it's best not to disturb it now with a re-pot. Now that it's started, how big a fruit you get depends on how well you look after it.

Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 6:27PM
Colopineapple

Thank you for the replies. Jim and tropicbreezent your advise will be followed. So is it true that a fruit set that starts now in July won't be ripe till March? I know it is probably silly but it is fascinating to watch this plant grow and flower here in Colorado. I will keep up with photos. 8-1-14

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 5:39PM
tropicbreezent

I can't remember exactly now, but normally something like 4 months. However in a colder climate it's probably longer. But I don't think it would be 8 or 9 months if you kept it warm and in bright light.

Bookmark   August 2, 2014 at 7:17PM
Colopineapple

Well it has moved inside and seems to be doing fine. How do I know when it is ripe?

Bookmark   November 15, 2014 at 9:42AM
tropicbreezent

Certainly not now. Commercially they're picked still green so that they travel better. But the down side is that the taste is poor (the reason I don't buy pineapples from stores). I find it best to leave them until they start to colour up. And that can take a bit of patience.

Bookmark   November 15, 2014 at 9:21PM
More Discussions
Need help/advice on dwarf tropical trees
Hello everyone! So I live in WI and am trying to pull...
sjpickart
What would be the best fruits to grow in a mini jungle
Hi, I'm working on a small jungle area, and at...
giantgunnera
Lychee Mauritius finally blooming ....
My 10-year old Lychee Mauritius is finally in bloom....
bananafan
Lychee like grapes
I just sat down reading some of the forum posts with...
zone10aridgardener
Do you have a Soursop that is producing fruit for you?
I purchased a Soursop back in 2009 and it has always...
bananafan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™