Growing Papaya from seeds?

mmmsmommyJuly 26, 2011

I just had the sweetest papaya yesterday! I wonder if I can plant the seeds.

Do you know if papaya is true to seed?

Also, I heard that papaya needs cross-pollination.. Does that mean I have to plant two different varieties, or two different plants from the same variety would work??

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
RodneyJS

Papayas aren't true to seed, but they're close.

Papayas have male, female & hermaphrodite trees. Some, like Hawaiian solo papayas, are 66% hermaphrodite/33% female with an occasional male. Unpollinated females will grow a small fruit but abort it before it sizes up.

Maradol papayas have a greater percentage of males, so 3 trees are usually grouped together.

Here's my Waimanalo papayas

Bookmark   July 26, 2011 at 3:45PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gnappi

I've grown quite a few Papaya from seeds of fruit I bought. The name varies from growers but I'm really not sure if they are what they say they are. I have bought Caribbean red, "Solo", RED lady, and they all appear to be the same visually and taste :-)

From seed, I find ~ 20% males from all varieties which I pull out of the ground and re-plant with another seedling as soon as I do.

All my trees, female and hermaphrodite fruit without bees as I have none (never saw one anyway). I have had no to little luck with Carambola and passionfruit setting fruit due (I think) to this. I started hand pollinating the passionfruit and Voila tons of fruit.

So I think wind and rain seem to be enough to get lots of fruit with Papaya.

At any rate, "true to seed" should be an axiom as you don't graft them?

I can say that the taste seems to be a matter of care if a decent parent was selected. I've had terrible tasting ones from yards where the tree is left to its own, and good tasting ones that were cared for.

Gary

Bookmark   July 30, 2011 at 6:58PM
More Discussions
Where to purchase Seedless Guava Tree that ships to CA?
Hello everyone, last month, my uncle brough me two...
simon_grow
Need help choosing containers for red maradol papaya
Hi friends, I am planning to start red maradol papaya...
vidnand
Do you have a Soursop that is producing fruit for you?
I purchased a Soursop back in 2009 and it has always...
bananafan
Need help with mango tree
I have a tree and was wondering if in the future it...
lindalepark2006713
Avocado Help
Hello everyone, I recently started gardening as a hobbie....
Steelsax2015
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™