Palm Beach RFC tree sale

dghays(Z10A FL Brevard)July 17, 2010

Looking for commentary on anything I bought today:

Excalibur Black Sapote

Custard apple (from Zill)

Red Morning Jakfruit

Thong Prasert Jakfruit

Trompo Canistel (might need to replace my existing one)

I'd say you're about better off just going to Excalibur than that sale. Better selection of trees at the nursery, seems like they leave the best trees. This is at least the second time it has seemed that way. Both times I went to Excalibur due to issues at the sale.

Gary

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
swrancher

I went as well this morning. I did notice some very good bargains on jaboticaba and grumichama. I ended up getting a 4+ foot tall jaboticaba for $20.00.

Bookmark   July 17, 2010 at 2:28PM
hmhausman(FL 10B)

I didn't know the sale was even today. Probably wouldn't have gone anyway, but not from lack of desire. The Red Morning Jak is a seedling or grafted? I have one, and it is a seedling...so it isn't technically Red Morning. Richard Wilson, I think, clams its better than Borneo Red. I have heard other, let's just say, contrasting opinions. Can't comment on the rest, but did find this on the net re: the canistel.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tompo Canistel

Bookmark   July 17, 2010 at 3:29PM
murahilin(10 fl)

I enjoy jackfruit and I have not liked any of the red morning fruit I have had. I've had a few different ones and they were not that good. A few even had a sulfur aftertaste. Since pretty much all of Excalibur's red mornings are from seed you might end up with a good one. Richard is convinced that jackfruit come true to seed so he has mostly stopped grafting them. It is evident that they are not true to seed by all the variation. Oh well.

Bookmark   July 17, 2010 at 4:59PM
dghays(Z10A FL Brevard)

I don't know if he is actually convinced of that or if he's taking the easy way out. Just like the pepperseed white longan had big seeds for me. I think there is a certain amount of profiteering being paramount.

Bookmark   July 17, 2010 at 5:53PM
red_sea_me

I'm glad you are not letting this past winter slow you down at all, a very nice haul of trees.

congrats and good luck,
-Ethan

Bookmark   July 17, 2010 at 11:31PM
More Discussions
Need help/advice on dwarf tropical trees
Hello everyone! So I live in WI and am trying to pull...
sjpickart
What would be the best fruits to grow in a mini jungle
Hi, I'm working on a small jungle area, and at...
giantgunnera
Help ID this Papaya plant
Hi A friend gave me a seedling grown from a seed they...
eagleeyesg
Avocado leaves dying
I've been growing two avocado plants for about 10 months...
leuconoe
Lychee Mauritius finally blooming ....
My 10-year old Lychee Mauritius is finally in bloom....
bananafan
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™