what to do with mulch

atibbs(z5 NY)May 10, 2005

Last August I got married at my property in the Catskills. I had just recently seeded a large area with grass, but torrential rains flooded the space where I put my tent, leaving nothing but a huge mud pit. In desperation, I ordered 8 yards of cedar mulch to put on top of the mud, so folks would have a place to stand around without sinking up to their knees.

My question is what do I do with all the mulch? It's about 1 foot deep in an area roughly 40x20 feet. The area is a low spot in my yard. Can I just cover it up with top soil and re-seed? Can I make some kind of huge lasanga bed with it, or will it not decompose fast enough? I can of course just dig/rake it all up, but then I still have the problems of putting it somewhere else....

Thanks in advance for any advice...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
JoyGarden(z4 NY)

I would leave it there and make a garden out of it. Gives you an excuse to go buy plants! ;) You could also make it into a veggie garden. Just make rows in the mulch for the seeds or plants. If you don't want to keep the mulch I'm sure you could sell it fairly easily. Where in the Catskills are you?

Good luck!

Bookmark   May 10, 2005 at 6:01PM
AbbeysDad(z5 CNY)

Just my $.02, but don't cover it up and reseed as cedar mulch would be a bad foundation for a lawn area - if you really want grass there, you should get most of the mulch out of there, ammend as needed and then reseed.
You could pile the mulch somewhere to use later around trees, in ornamental beds and/or paths.

Bookmark   May 11, 2005 at 10:09AM
debbie5(z5NY)

Pile it up, let it dry out and set fire to it?? LOL...

Bookmark   May 12, 2005 at 9:36PM
PollyNY(z5NY)

I would spread it out, so it's only about 6-8 inches thick, and plant shome shrubs/flowers that like wet area in it, keeping the mulch out away a couple of inches from their trunks. Polly

Bookmark   May 13, 2005 at 1:00PM
penny1947(z6 WNY)

dIf you have a freecycle group in your area you can offer it to people on freecycle. There is always someone in need of gardening related stuff on our freecycle groups here in the Buffalo Niagara area Last year I got two 30 gallon trash barrels full of pea gravel that someone needed to get red of because they had more than they needed. I brought the containers, filled them up and away I went. What you can't use someone else usually can.

Penny

Bookmark   May 14, 2005 at 7:05AM
atibbs(z5 NY)

Thanks for all your input. I've just about got it all scooped up and piled in a little hidden area in my forest.

Bookmark   May 24, 2005 at 8:44AM
More Discussions
Are there apples forming on your trees?
Hello, Last year I had hundreds of apples on my Granny...
lori_ny
website change
why did they change the format for this site? it is...
jerome69
Best farmers markets in Erie/Niagara?
While most of the posters and lurkers on this forum...
tomtuxman
Help with Viburnum... Wentworth Cranberrybush
Hello... I'm new to this site so please bear with me....
Greeneyezz
Need help - what will be in bloom mid-June?
I am hosting a garden tour for our local garden club...
ridgetop01
Sponsored Products
Moroccan Rug 7'9" x 9'9"
$1,189.00 | Horchow
Neutral Shag Rug 8'6" x 11'6" - SILVER
$1,899.00 | Horchow
Moose Crossing Sign
$99.99 | Dot & Bo
15743BBR Bronzed Brass 8.5 Watts Wide Kichler LED Landscape Light
EnvironmentalLights.com
DENY Designs Holly Sharpe Summer Dreaming Outdoor Throw Pillow - 14055-OTHRP18
$49.00 | Hayneedle