WANTED: Wanted: Possumhaw Holly (Ilex Decidua)

freshair2townsquare(z7/8, D/FW)August 22, 2008

I'm looking for cuttings or rooted suckers of Possumhaw Holly (Ilex Decidua) this October or November. I'll need both a mom and a dad.

By that time, I hope to have rooted cuttings of Buddleia "Black Knight," tricolor Althea and dwarf Gardenia to trade.

~ Amy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seamommy(7bTX)

I don't know if you knew this, but those possumhaw hollys grow wild in Texas. If you get out in the country this fall, you might be able to find one small enough to take up. I don't personally care for holly and whenever they sprout on my property, I always dig them up and toss them on the compost. The birds spread the berries all over the place. The roots are horrendous though, even on the small ones. Cheryl

Bookmark   August 27, 2008 at 1:02PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
linda_tx8(8)

If you dig one up from any wild place, you probably won't know whether male or female unless it's got berries. Then you know it's female...but then it may be too big to do anything but take cuttings. Most possumhaws in the wild are males. I should know...I have a couple that are big enough, but they only flower each year, no berries. Oh, I also know those two are male because there is a female possumhaw right across the street by a dry creek that DOES produce berries. A friend was finally kind enough to give me an identified female plant last year.

Bookmark   August 27, 2008 at 8:13PM
More Discussions
Wanted: Fruit Tree Cuttings
Anyone have true type fruit cuttings they would like...
Gaia's Sacred Seeds
HAVE: Denton County 2014 Fall Swap
Denton County 2014 Fall Swap Sunday, October 19, 2014 2:00...
melvalena
HAVE: Baptisia seed
Looks like I'll have a nice crop of baptisia sphaerocarpa...
abarbie4me2
WANTED: flower seeds
I live in South Austin and am a newbie. I do container...
Karen.137
have: plant swap this saturday, july 19
Blooming Buds Group is having an Open Invite to anyone...
leapingfroglady
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™