Bald Eagles in WNY

pamghatten(wny5)May 9, 2006

I know they are already in WNY, but this is the first time I've seen a Bald Eagle in my neighborhhod, and I think it's just WONDERFUL!

My neighbor told me there's a pair, I've only seen the mature adult of the pair. No mistaking that white head. I was sooo thrilled. Apparently Beaver Meadows has seen the pair also, they're not that far away.

It's encouraging to think that a species that we almost killed off 30+ years ago has made such a comeback.

Pam

South Wales, NY

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
remy_gw

Hi Pam,
It is exciting. Last year, I saw one on the north end of Grand Island flying pretty low, and I almost drove off the 190, lol. There is, or at least was, a nesting pair living on either Strawberry or Navy Island so I guess I saw one of them.
Remy

Bookmark   May 9, 2006 at 6:17PM
penny1947(z6 WNY)

We have one in our neighborhood that roost at the top of a very tall pine tree about 4 doors away. I don't see it often but when i do it is usually flying back to the nest. One day she soaredright over my back yard while I was out there and I was in awe.

Penny

Bookmark   May 9, 2006 at 8:03PM
faltered(Hamburg NY Z5/6)

Just watch out those of you that have small dogs or outdoor cats.

I was on vacation with my fiancee two years ago and we actually saw a small dog get lifted off by a bald eagle. Not fun for the owner, as you could imagine!

But they are amazing birds.

Tracy

Bookmark   May 11, 2006 at 9:51AM
craig76

I'm in the Binghamton area. While building the Presidential Helicopter Building in Owego NY we were honored to have a pair of Bald Eagles watching our work progress. They would fly in fish the pond then sit in the trees and watch us work.The interesting part was we were being watched by Americas greatest symbol while constructing the building that our next presidents helicopter would be built in.Talk about Big Brother watching! The pair nests nearby on an island in the river.There are others . I'm told one that flew over my truck while driving up Kattelville Hill is one of a pair nesting at Chenango Valley State Park.Last winter I made a short trips to the Cannonsville Resv. area. Between there and the Binghamton area I saw 10 different eagles in one week.They are awsome beautiful birds.

Bookmark   November 25, 2007 at 5:16PM
Carol_from_ny

The birds in Owego mirgrated down from Ithaca. They've been wintering on the island for a few years now. They are a wonder to watch fly thru the skies.

Bookmark   November 25, 2007 at 9:39PM
More Discussions
Best farmers markets in Erie/Niagara?
While most of the posters and lurkers on this forum...
tomtuxman
wolves in ny state ???
Was wondering about the sightings of wolves in New...
lynnenychemung
ID this Critter?
These are showing up on my Joe Pye Weed in the early...
wantoretire_did
Help with ID this plant
We visited Rockport Maine in September and noticed...
p.polyxenes
Double Knockout Roses in Zone 5
I'm posting under Upstate New York because it would...
birchhill
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™