is chlorine water bad when germinating avocado seeds?

beto_borjasJuly 9, 2014

Hi everyone I havea couple of avocado seed that I am germinating. Some of them have popped open already and ive been changing the water recently and I can smell the water.... it has a good amount of chlorine. Will it affect the avocado seeds in any way?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gnappi

You can smell the chlorine from city water? Are they doing some kind of sanitizing flush? You may want to call them and or get a pool testing kit!

I use city water to root pineapple tops and never had an issue, but I also don't change the water often, I'd say every few days... besides after several hours a "normal" amount of chlorine should evaporate.

If you're worried you can always use some cheap grocery store bottled spring water.

Bookmark   July 9, 2014 at 7:10PM
alisonoz_gw

chlorine breaks down in sunlight. Just pop a bowl of your tap water outdoors for a day. Or if you have a lot of houseplants and a big concern, you can get a "water ager" product at aquarium shops that is used for fish bowl water changes.

Bookmark   July 10, 2014 at 2:52AM
steiconi(12a-Big Island, HI)

I don't think most municipal systems use chlorine anymore; they use another chemical that doesn't break down in sunlight. I know it's a problem for fish, but never heard it was bad for plants. In fact, I often soak new cuttings in water with bleach and soap to sterilize them before potting.

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 12:23AM
More Discussions
What would be the best fruits to grow in a mini jungle
Hi, I'm working on a small jungle area, and at...
giantgunnera
Sick Passionfruit Leaves
Hi Any clue about this leaves disorder? It looks like...
jalilu
White Sapote in a container?
Hi, Is it possible for a white Sapote in a container...
fleabernal1983
Need help choosing containers for red maradol papaya
Hi friends, I am planning to start red maradol papaya...
vidnand
Need help with mango tree
I have a tree and was wondering if in the future it...
lindalepark2006713
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™