1st Mangosteen

yaslan(8 WA state)July 13, 2010

I was wondering what all the fuss was about Mangosteen, so, I bought some at the Asian Market. They were $5.95/lbs. Surprisingly, they were a lot better than I expected. It was a mixture of sweet and sour and actually reminded me of the cherimoya. But, the seeds were too big and not enough meat on there for me to buy it again. Overall, I think it was a good experience and thank goodness it didn't taste horrible.

Bo

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jsvand5

I have to admit I was a bit disappointed when I first tried them as well. They were good, but a good mango, lychee, or even cherimoya blow them away IMO.

Bookmark   July 13, 2010 at 5:50PM
pikorazi

bo,

those mangosteens look old to me; the 'leaves' on the top of the fruits are brown and dried out. vendors in thailand explained to me, that those leaves should always be green. so the ones you eat should not have been 100% good...

john,

i would be carefull making a judgement on fruits just by eating a few. there a too many factors that effect the taste (harvest, climate, soil, cultivar..). maybe you didn't eat good mangostens?!

the first two or three mangosteens i eat (in germany) were nothing special to me. but after eating them fresh in thailand i started to love them. right now they are in my top 5 list of all the fruit i have tasted!

felipe

Bookmark   July 14, 2010 at 9:21AM
siegel2

The first mangosteen fruit I ever tasted we were at a small train station about midway between Rangoon and Pagan in Burma.

When we pulled into the station, several vendors came up to the windows offering a kilo of mangosteens for about 10 cents US.

I was told later the the mangosteen orchards were only a few miles from that rail station. Those were fresh!

The imported ones I've had in California and even Taiwan only reminded me of what they taste like fresh, but they weren't nearly as good.

Bookmark   July 14, 2010 at 6:50PM
musaboru(Inland Calif.)

To me, I think it tastes somewhere inbetween a really good orange and mango. I absolutely love that. The shell is really astringent...worse than a banana peel. So be careful not to get it into your mouth.

Bookmark   July 19, 2010 at 3:25AM
More Discussions
source for uncommon lychee trees
Anyone know of a nursery that will ship. looking for...
lycheeluva
Need help/advice on dwarf tropical trees
Hello everyone! So I live in WI and am trying to pull...
sjpickart
problem with carica papaya seedling survival
Hi I live in a temperate zone, have a large conservatory,...
marcyoung
Avocado Help
Hello everyone, I recently started gardening as a hobbie....
Steelsax2015
Where to purchase Seedless Guava Tree that ships to CA?
Hello everyone, last month, my uncle brough me two...
simon_grow
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™