Milky Spore on Sale!

misskimmie(z4b Central NY)May 7, 2008

Hi, I just returned from my local Lowe's. ( New Hartford) Found milky spore on sale - regular price is about $27 for a 10 oz. can on sale for under $7. For those who don't know its a good way of killing Japanese beetles without using pesticides. It was too expensive so I did not buy any before. I came home with 5 cans. We had lot's of JBs last year and I'm finding lots of grubs anytime I dig.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tresbelle3

How do you use it? Do you mix it w/water or just sprinkle down? Do you find it very effective? I love the idea of doing it naturally.

Bookmark   June 3, 2008 at 2:11PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
misskimmie(z4b Central NY)

This is the 1st time I tried it, We had a "bumper crop" of Japanese Beetles last summer so I wanted to do something proactive, I didn't;t feel right butting the more aggressive chemicals in my yard especially since I plant to encourage birds. hummers , bees and butterflies. to answer your question I put down a spoon full of milky-spoor powder every 3 feet or so ( I followed directions on the can but I don;y exactly remember what I did) From what I understand, It takes a few years for milky spoor to build up for full potential. If a grub dies from it his decomposing body releases more milky spore into the soil. I learned about it on one of the the other forums on GW, Truthfully when I looked into applying it last year, the high price discouraged me, so I was happy to see it go on sale.

Bookmark   June 4, 2008 at 10:29PM
More Discussions
crepe myrtle trees
I recently moved to northern NY and I'm trying to grow...
dixieboy8833
Anyone Use New York State Nursery?
Anyone use the New York State Nursery? What were your...
edlincoln
Free Seed Swap & Giveaway Victor NY April 04 2015
Seed Exchange & Seed Giveaway April 04, 2015 10:00...
mrsdlight
Freeze warning
Hey Central NY! Get out there and pick the last of...
booberry85
website change
why did they change the format for this site? it is...
jerome69
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™