Taste Profile for Tropical Pink Guava?

Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9bJuly 16, 2014

We got a small tree at a nursery, put it in ground and now it has 3 mangos on it. They are pretty small, like the size of a big green olive.

I have never tasted a mango, so could someone tell me how to know if they are ripe and sort of describe the flavor...

Like do they taste like peaches, mangos, pineapple, acid, sweet, perfume?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
steiconi(12a-Big Island, HI)

mango or guava?

my pink guava is mild, sweet, a little grainy. It tastes like...guava. Doesn't make me think of any other fruit.

I pick as soon as they start to turn yellow--gotta get them before the fruit flies do--then ripen on the counter. This year I got fruit fly bait, so may not have such a problem.

The fruit on my tree (it's about 5 years old) ranges from chicken egg to turkey egg in size.

Bookmark   July 17, 2014 at 4:01PM
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b

I meant guava. We got a mango the same day. It has no fruit, but I do know what they taste like.

So your pink guava is picked when turning yellow? Nice to know they ripen on the counter. Figs don't. I fight birds over those.

Thanks for the flavor description. I guess it's just pink inside.

Bookmark   July 17, 2014 at 5:40PM
gnappi

"my pink guava is mild, sweet, a little grainy. It tastes like...guava. Doesn't make me think of any other fruit."

Definitely agreed I love them as juice, cooking with them, sauces... unfortunately every one I planted got scale infestations so out they came. Pink guava when ripening in my kitchen have the greatest aroma!

Anyway, I now grow lemon and strawberry guava which are not as good but they're nice and bushy, and seem immune to scale.

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 5:59PM
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b

Interesting. Scale. Our citrus get scale, but a wipe with alcohol gets rid of them fast. We get mealy bugs also, and they go away with soapy water.

I'm really looking forward to my first taste, and I will let them ripen in the kitchen. The tree is getting really big, so next year we should be able to make juice. Fingers crossed the mango fruits next year too.

Thanks for the flavor profile.

Bookmark   July 20, 2014 at 9:03AM
More Discussions
The Freeze in Central Florida!
The most top branches, the last 3 inches or so suffered...
seagel
Old problem with Miracle fruit plants
Hi everyone here! I've been trying to grow miracle...
swfx
Why Doesn't My Sapodilla Ripen?
My sapodilla tree has had a good crop of fist-sized...
billbrandi
Need help choosing containers for red maradol papaya
Hi friends, I am planning to start red maradol papaya...
vidnand
Avocado leaves dying
I've been growing two avocado plants for about 10 months...
leuconoe
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™