Springhill Shade grab bag

czimmMay 20, 2013

I received my Springhill Shade Grab Bag this weekend. The contents were clematis, 3 widows tears (I'm sure that will be an annual in my zone!), and 4 chameleon flowers. They are nice size plants (although I wasn't expecting much). Do I dare plant the invasive chameleons in my shade garden? There is plenty of room in this garden for it to take over. Will I regret planting it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
party_music50

I assume that your "chameleon flowers" are the plant Houttuynia cordata. An old friend of mine grew it and when I commented about how beautiful it was she stated emphatically "You DON'T want it!". She insisted that I would be sorry if I planted it in-ground, so I took some and just grew it in a pot for a couple years. It is very pretty and I loved the scent (citrus-like), but unless you want to risk it taking over everything and never being able to rid yourself of it, I wouldn't put it in your garden.

FWIW, there are many plants that will "take over" a garden, or even a yard if allowed to, and people pay good money for them and plant them all the time. I inherited Lily of the Valley and it's just as bad of a monster plant, yet people love it and so do I. I also made the mistake of nursing a little bit of Aegopodium variegata that was inherited with my gardens. Plants like this can be kept in check with barriers and constant maintenance, but with all the gardening I do they just didn't get that constant maintenance and they are both taking over large spaces. sigh.

Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 7:05AM
czimm

Thank you for the advice! I think I will pot them...

Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 10:35PM
williammwill

Many thanks for the advice. This is exactly what i have been looking for.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Bags

Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 1:13AM
More Discussions
WANTED: Group exchange in Utica/Rome area?
Hi all -- I know there are at least a few members who...
party_music50
Help with ID this plant
We visited Rockport Maine in September and noticed...
p.polyxenes
website change
why did they change the format for this site? it is...
jerome69
growing thick stocky stems on tomatoes
how do the commercial growers get their tomatoes to...
jerome69
Anyone Use New York State Nursery?
Anyone use the New York State Nursery? What were your...
edlincoln
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™