Lilac

RachaelLemmon(5)May 11, 2013

This may be a tired subject but I inherited this massive lilac with the new house and I wondered if anyone could tell me how and when to remove some stems/ trunks . There are hundreds of runners and the oldest trunks still flower but all at the very top. my neighbor said its been here since atleast the mid 50's when he was a child. Thanks in advance .

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
RachaelLemmon(5)

Just another picture . I really hope to help it become fuller but if I should leave it be , I will . My whole property smells wonderful when it's in bloom, I really do love it.

Bookmark   May 11, 2013 at 8:42PM
party_music50

oh, it's beautiful! I love lilacs!

If you want to rejuvenate it (cut it back or shape it), you do it right after it finishes blooming. For total rejuvenation, the general advice is to remove 1/3 of the branches each year for a 3 year period by cutting them back to the ground. My Dad has often cut back selective branches of older/taller lilacs by trimming them to a desired height... he never had any problems with them coming back.

Yours doesn't look like it needs total rejuvenation at all. It looks a little like one of mine... I had a beautiful Charles Joly lilac that got completely busted back one winter. It must have been grafted and I must have lost the CJ part because what I ended up with was a common lilac that suckers *terribly*. To make matters worse, it got busted up again the next winter and again two years later by construction equipment. That poor lilac has suffered repeatedly and it keeps sending out more suckers. :p There doesn't seem to be any way for me to control it now, so I just cut out anything that's misshapen and excess suckers whenever I have the time and will. :O)

Bookmark   May 12, 2013 at 8:41PM
ken_mce(zone 4, NY)

Lilacs tolerate pruning well. In the pictures it looks like a fine healthy plant. There are several techniques available. What do you want it to do?

Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 10:25AM
More Discussions
Are there apples forming on your trees?
Hello, Last year I had hundreds of apples on my Granny...
lori_ny
I have a severe case of spring fever - you?
Seeds are almost all arrived, and this weekend I plan...
ridgetop01
Help with ID this plant
We visited Rockport Maine in September and noticed...
p.polyxenes
wolves in ny state ???
Was wondering about the sightings of wolves in New...
lynnenychemung
Weeds
I have recently bought my great uncles house and the...
James_Christel
Sponsored Products
Pet Gear Sportster Stroller-Full Size-Lilac - PG8200LL
$113.98 | Hayneedle
20-Piece Zaffiro Flatware Service - BLUE
$160.00 | Horchow
Lilac Fern Satin-Trim 350-Thread Count Down Blanket
$79.99 | zulily
Interlace Lilac Wallpaper R2044, sample
Walls Republic
Majestic Embroidered Lace Sheet Set
Overstock.com