Salvia has black spots!!!

frugalflowers(z4a)May 16, 2006

I have salvia seedlings started in my basement under lights. The plants look wonderful, however, I noticed last night that the plants are getting black spots on the edges of the leaves. The plants are 4 to 5 inches tall now, and really look nice and green and full too! Most of the spots are on the lower leaves, but there are a few spots at the top too. It this too much water, too little, too much fertilizer, too little, etc? I also have over 300 impatiens growing, and they seem to be fine. All my plants look very healthy except for these new black spots. I went down to get some pictures of the spots, but my batteries in my camera needed charging. I will try to post some pictures later tonight.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
penny1947(z6 WNY)

You didn't say what kind of salvia you are growing but as a general rule, they don't need a lot of wanter and very little if any fertilizer. They do well in leaner soil and bright light. I would get them out in natural light as soon as possible. They should be drying out between watering. Mine are going in the ground as soon as it dries out a bit.

Penny

Bookmark   May 17, 2006 at 6:00AM
frugalflowers(z4a)

Hi Penny,

Thanks for your quick reply. The plants are regular Salvia "Bonfire." IF it ever stops raining, I will get them planted when my flower beds dryout somewhat. Until then, I will direct a fan on them to dry them out as much as I can.

Bookmark   May 17, 2006 at 9:29AM
penny1947(z6 WNY)

just keep them in a sunny window and let them dry naturally unless they are already very very wet. Salvia splendens 'Bonfire' can take a little more water than some of the other salvias as long as the soil drains wells.

Penny

Bookmark   May 17, 2006 at 10:21AM
More Discussions
Best farmers markets in Erie/Niagara?
While most of the posters and lurkers on this forum...
tomtuxman
pink yarrow gone wild
My pink yarrow is out of control. My neighbors can...
RachaelLemmon
Asiatic Lilly buds gone
It happened last year and I just noticed again today....
wantoretire_did
What do you do to keep the deer from nibbling your plants?
A gal in our garden club has had a horrible time with...
jean_mdc
Anyone Use New York State Nursery?
Anyone use the New York State Nursery? What were your...
edlincoln
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™