Nasty Plum poppy

mulchy(z5ny)May 17, 2005

I was just wondering if anybody as ever had the miss fortune of receiving a plume poppy? I was given one last year and thought it was a neat plant, well I have been digging plum poppys for 2 weeks, they just keep coming. It sends out roots that are non stop!!! It might be a great plant to give to your best enemy!!! It is the most invasive plant I have ever had!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean_mdc(z 4/5 NY)

I have had plume poppy for a few years but I really do love it. I grow it with a tall purple annual that reseeds itself every year and they battle it out for their inch on the mound but they are absolutely magnificent together.

People on garden tours always ask what it is and beg for some of their very own.

Yes, it spreads by that running root but in the early spring I just yank out what I don't want or any babies that have wandered too far and that keeps it contained to the area where I want it

I also have it in sun/shade and that may help with controling it. I love the color and shape so I have to put up with the rest.

Last year I put some in my woods as a background to my white garden with gooseneck loosestrife in front of it and a row of huge stones that I dug into the groundto stop the 2 invaders from coming into the white garden. So far it looks like the idea worked! We'll see!

Jean

Bookmark   May 18, 2005 at 7:41AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kareen(z5 NY Renss.Co.)

Hi Mulchy,
I too love it even though it has taken over. It easily pulls out. Might I suggest though that you weed out all the new sprouts and take the original and replant it in a large pot with no holes and then sink the pot into the soil. This should stop the spread by root as it will be contained in the pot and yet give you the beautiful architecture of the plant. Good luck and please keep us posted on your success.

Here is a link that might be useful: Our pond and gardens

Bookmark   May 18, 2005 at 12:59PM
More Discussions
I have a severe case of spring fever - you?
Seeds are almost all arrived, and this weekend I plan...
ridgetop01
website change
why did they change the format for this site? it is...
jerome69
Freeze warning
Hey Central NY! Get out there and pick the last of...
booberry85
brugmansia
I absolutely love the looks of these trumpet plants,...
younggreenthumb47
Are there apples forming on your trees?
Hello, Last year I had hundreds of apples on my Granny...
lori_ny
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™