Late blight on seedling?

CaraRoseApril 22, 2013

One of my Big Beef seedlings appears to have a fungal infection... I just googled trying to figure out what it was, and it looks a lot like late blight. White patches on the stem, along with one leaf with small white patches of mold underneath.

Our basement flooded and they spent a few days down there before I was able to move all the plants out knowing it was a bad environment being that damp and unsanitary at that point.

Should I even try to save this seedling if that's what it is? Should I pre-emptively spray the rest of my tomatoes?

This post was edited by CaraRose on Mon, Apr 22, 13 at 16:46

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
timmy1(6a ri)

Don't think it would be late blight unless you have potato tubers down there next to it.

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 4:52PM
carolyn137(z4/5 NY)

Agree with timmy. Not Late Blight,, P. infestans.

None of the symptoms you mentioned describe LB.

Whate patches on stems and leaves, OK, but probably one of the common Powdery Mildew fungal infections.

I checked your page to see where you garden, but you didn't indicate anything, When answeribng tomato disease questions it's always good to know where someone gardens, in a goegraphic sense, since many tomato diseases are regional,, but not the one you're describing IMO.

Have you looked at any disease sites to see if you can matchup symptoms? In the pest and Disease Forum here, link at the top, there used to be links to TAMU and Cornell, which I thought were the best and I've also linked to them from elsewhere from time to time here at GW.

BTW, Timmy is referring to the fact that LB can overwinter in potato cull piles, but I doubt you've got some potatoes stored down in the cellar, or do you? And if so it really is important to know where you are in the US.

Carolyn

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 5:07PM
CaraRose

Actually, I did have potatoes down there that I started indoors playing around with some kitchen potatoes that were growing legs. :(

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 5:31PM
CaraRose

I'm in Chicago. The potatoes never showed signs of blight though.

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 5:32PM
pasco(7)

It's pm not late blight.

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 10:47PM
More Discussions
Is any one growing Delicious?
Is any one growing Delicious?
gridgardener
Black Pineapple Tomato (aka Ananas Noire): Verdict
Just picked my first black pineapple tomato and ate...
Edymnion
Fourth of July ....
Fourth of July is my favorite day. How about a tomato...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Brandy Boy Contest -2015
I propose a "Brandy Boy Contest" for 2015...
hudson___wy
Supermarket Tomatoes Plants II
Here we go again. I have started 8 more seedlings for...
garf_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™