Cold Damage

shadyreliefApril 29, 2012

Hello, it looks I got some cold damage this week on the tomatoes I planted last week. We hit at least 40, maybe lower and for a couple nights I think. Anyway, the leaves are showing a yellowing, kind of a mottling, looking really like a disease. I'm wondering if I should plant new all over again. These plants might be weakened and carry that on through. What do think? About nine plants. Thank you for any feedback.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Your description does not sound like cold damage to me and honestly, 40 isn't all that bad. Not ideal of course but tolerable. The description sounds much more like either over-watering or some sort of nutrient issue to me. Can you post a pic of the plants in question?

It also doesn't sound like any diseases so the link posted above to generate personal blog hits serves no purpose.

Dave

Bookmark   April 29, 2012 at 8:19PM
dickiefickle(5B Dousman,Wi.)

I think they are goners ,better start again

Bookmark   April 30, 2012 at 1:35AM
shadyrelief

Hi, I know 40 doesn't sound that bad, but it could have gone lower and probably did maybe for 3 nights. They were fine when they went in, only one week and did get possibly two inches of rain but very moderate and slow. The yellowing is all through the leaves bottom to top, kind of in a mottling or along the veins a fairly small proportion of the leaves, not the whole leaves. Sorry I don't have picks. I would assume they'll make it, but I know they are weakened and am afraid that will carry through and affect long term. It would cost $6 - $10 to replace them not too big a deal, but I would hate to throw the ones away. Thank you.

Bookmark   April 30, 2012 at 7:29AM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Then it is basically your choice. Still sounds like nutrient deficiency to me and a good feed will bounce most right back but can't say without seeing them.

Dave

Bookmark   April 30, 2012 at 11:18AM
shadyrelief

It looks like they're going to stay in, the new growth looks good so I guess they'll be fine. I think it was a lot lower than 40 and for maybe 3 nights. I've got one Rutgers in the bunch and I'm looking forward to seeing how she does. Thank you.

Bookmark   May 10, 2012 at 4:36PM
More Discussions
Rio Grande Tomato
Okay got a quick question but can't seem to find the...
brenzo77
I need a high yield, good tasting indeterminate tomato.
I have a short growing season, and will grow them in...
shijitake
Big Boo-Boo! On Red Robins
I started some Red Robins a while back, or I thought...
wertach zone 7-B SC
Sorry, Don't like Sungold
Contrary to popular beliefs I find them much too sweet,...
robinava
Are You Germinating Yet ?
Now that you've got all the seeds and have decided...
seysonn
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™