cherimoya seedlings--now what?

caiden(HI, 11)July 20, 2010

Hi, I planted cherimoya seeds in one of my greenhouses several months ago, and now I have 9 good sized, healthy little seedlings with leaves. See picture:

I've never grown fruit trees from seed before, so I'm a bit stumped as to what to do next. Is it the time when I should transplant them to bigger pots? Could they just be planted in the ground from here? I only really plan on having two-three trees from this batch of seedlings, so I can afford to experiment a bit, but I'm not sure. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nullzero(9)

I would wait until the fall to transplant into the ground. The sunlight and higher temps will be less brutal on the small seedlings.

Bookmark   July 20, 2010 at 9:41PM
enduser(9a Tampa)

Definitely wait until they are about a foot tall before you consider transplanting. Look at the forum link below where I (enduser) give Roger advice on how to grow Sugar Apples. Same advice works with Cherimoya.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to care for seedlings

Bookmark   July 20, 2010 at 9:56PM
ch3rri(z6 PA)

The pots are larger than needed. I would leave them in the pot for now. Wait until next year to see which one is the tallest and most healthy then pick those to plant in the ground. Also wait for more root to develop before planting out.

Bookmark   July 20, 2010 at 9:59PM
mango_kush

i sprouted alot of anona seedlings before but i never grew a single one to maturity.

im not that good at nursing seedlings.

Bookmark   July 20, 2010 at 10:11PM
Andrew Scott

I agree with Cherri regarding the pot size. I started some ina community pots and put them into the 8 packs that veggies and annuals come in. I then move them up to a four inch pot. My grafted trees that are about 2 to 2.5ft tall are in pots smaller than what your seedlings are in. I would consider putting them into the ground this year. My trees are growing very fast. Not like the grafted trees but I think once yours get to where they start branching, the growth is VERY fast. The only tree that grows at about the same rate for me is my 'Day' avocado. I remember Ajay in california telling me that they grow really fast. I was told that they can grow 5ft to 7ft a year.
Andrew

Bookmark   July 20, 2010 at 10:39PM
caiden(HI, 11)

Thanks guys! I guess I will keep them where they are for the moment, and assess them again in a few months. Its good to know I don't need to transplant into larger pots. I chose this size after having papayas apparently stunted from smaller containers last year--but of course they are totally different plants.

That guide about sugar apples is useful enduser--even moreso because I also have (so far in germination) one small sugar apple seedling that I really hope will make it out into the ground.

Bookmark   July 22, 2010 at 12:00AM
More Discussions
Moringa O. seeds trade for tropical fruit ?
I have several dozen Moringa seeds, i already have...
greenman62
Why Doesn't My Sapodilla Ripen?
My sapodilla tree has had a good crop of fist-sized...
billbrandi
Edible Banana for Zone 9
Question- What edible banana (Musa) will work best...
Man-Go-Bananas
Fertilzing with Alfalfa Pellets
Hi I would like to fertilize my young mangos with alfalfa...
jalilu
My Pitaya (Dragon Fruit) in SoCal
Here was my Dragon Fruit plants in Pots back in May....
enocchen
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™