Looking for container Mango growing medium info

misterrandyJuly 27, 2010

Am new to this forum, avid gardener living in Lafayette, LA. I recently purchased Lancetilla and Nam Doc Mai mangoes and am looking to repot them in 25 gallon containers(I have a 3 year old avocado tree looking good in the ground). One source suggested a peat moss mix as a growing medium and others coconut husk chips or coir(mixed with compost). Any help or links are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jsvand5

I use equal parts pine bark fines, turface, perilite and then I throw in just a little peat to hold a little extra water. Seems to work pretty well.

Bookmark   July 27, 2010 at 10:42PM
Andrew Scott

Hi Misterrandy,
I like Jsvand's mix. I learned the hard way. Much better to have a mix that drains quickly then a mix that takes too much time to drain and then you end up with root rot. Probobly with all the heat you have, it would dry up much faster.
Andrew

Bookmark   July 28, 2010 at 11:05AM
mango_kush

dont use compost in containers, it will turn the soil into muck and contribute to an unhealthy rotting root system

container growing is more like hydroponic growing than in ground growing, use a well draining medium and rely on liquid fertilizers

Bookmark   July 28, 2010 at 12:35PM
enduser(9a Tampa)

I use the "Jungle Growth flower and vegetable" mix from lowes. Notice that this is not the "potting mix" version that holds excessive moisture and promotes root fungus. This stuff drains quickly and potted fruit trees love it.

FYI make sure that the pot has drain holes that are on the sides and not just on the bottom. If the pot has holes on the bottom only and you place it in an area with excessive moisture such as on top of mulch, or lay it on a flat surface like a concrete patio, or if it gets blocked by containments, the water or the excessive moisture retained in the pot will kill the plant. I learned this valuable lesson the hard way at the expense of loosing 3 mango trees until I realized what was happening.

Bookmark   July 28, 2010 at 5:48PM
More Discussions
My Pitaya (Dragon Fruit) in SoCal
Here was my Dragon Fruit plants in Pots back in May....
enocchen
Help, I think my Sapodilla is sick....
I was wondering if someone could please help me figure...
Sub_Tropic
Fertilzing with Alfalfa Pellets
Hi I would like to fertilize my young mangos with alfalfa...
jalilu
I'm in heaven this fine morning!
Well fellow tropical fruit growers, I am in heaven...
msmorningsong
Is this normal for a sapodilla tree?
We just bought a sapodilla tree and it's been in the...
checko12
Sponsored Products
Big Joe Dorm Bean Bag Chair - Zebra - 0645182
$54.99 | Hayneedle
Prospect Loveseat in Black
$299.00 | LexMod
Standard Furniture Avion 2 Piece Coffee Table Set in Walnut
Beyond Stores
Smoke Lattice Giclee Pendant Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Crystorama Luxo Satin Nickel 26" Wide Chandelier
Lamps Plus