Petunia exserta info

penny1947(z6 WNY)June 13, 2012

Just wanted to mention to those who got the Petunia exserta (Brazilian Petunia) plants at our western NY Plant Swap at Tara's. These Petunias are threatened in Brazil because of crossing with hybrid petunias and there are only a few isolated stands of them still in the wild. Petunia exserta will cross with hybrids and you will lose the pure species. If you want to collect seed of your plants for future gardens make sure you don't have any of the garden variety petunias growing in the area.

Several of my plants are blooming very well now and have at least 11 or 12 blooms per plant. I did plant two of mine in two 9 1/2 inch pots the others are in ground. They will bloom sooner in full sun but do well in half day sun also. Average soil and water needs.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
remy_gw

Thanks Penny! I got a bloom already. I do have a lot of other petunias though so that is disappointing that it crosses.

Bookmark   June 13, 2012 at 10:08PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
penny1947(z6 WNY)

I made sure I didn't have any other petunias this year so I could keep my seeds pure. One of the guys on our hummer forum posted a pic last night of his plants. They are so full they have created a sea of blooms....You can't tell where one plant starts and another ends.

Bookmark   June 14, 2012 at 6:23AM
More Discussions
Freeze warning
Hey Central NY! Get out there and pick the last of...
booberry85
pink yarrow gone wild
My pink yarrow is out of control. My neighbors can...
RachaelLemmon
crepe myrtle trees
I recently moved to northern NY and I'm trying to grow...
dixieboy8833
What do you do to keep the deer from nibbling your plants?
A gal in our garden club has had a horrible time with...
jean_mdc
Free Seed Swap & Giveaway Victor NY April 04 2015
Seed Exchange & Seed Giveaway April 04, 2015 10:00...
mrsdlight
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™