Dead Moles

pjalst(Z5 Albany NY)June 21, 2006

In the past two weeks I found two dead moles laying on my lawn. I'm not upset about losing them, I'm just curious about what the cause of their death is. They don't look chewed up or anything, so I think and animal got to them. anyone have any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kareen(z5 NY Renss.Co.)

I wonder if there is poison of some sort in your area that they got into. If you contact NYS department of environmental conservation , they may be able to give you more info. Let us know if you find the culprit.

Bookmark   June 24, 2006 at 9:02AM
frugalflowers(z4a)

Several years ago I also found several dead moles. They were found very close to their holes. Because it had been a very wet summer, and we had just had a gully washer, I decided that they must have aspirated too much water in their burrows. Have you had a lot of rain prior to finding them?

Jackie

Bookmark   June 25, 2006 at 10:38AM
adirondackgardener(Western Maine)

Well, the upstairs neigbor's cat has a knack for killing small animals without leaving a mark on them, as if that would make me feel better when I find them waiting for me outside my door. I've also found several moles over the past year that I assume fell victim to this tidy murderer.

Maybe you have one like that in your neighborhood.

Wayne

Bookmark   June 25, 2006 at 1:35PM
hammerl(z5-6 Amherst NY)

My scottie has killed moles without leaving a mark on them, so it could be the work of a stray dog, as well.

Bookmark   June 26, 2006 at 9:58AM
More Discussions
Weeds
I have recently bought my great uncles house and the...
James_Christel
Need help - what will be in bloom mid-June?
I am hosting a garden tour for our local garden club...
ridgetop01
pink yarrow gone wild
My pink yarrow is out of control. My neighbors can...
RachaelLemmon
Anyone Use New York State Nursery?
Anyone use the New York State Nursery? What were your...
edlincoln
HAVE: N. Rome: U-dig Lily of the Valley
I have a gorgeous thick patch (or two :) of Lily of...
party_music50
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™