Too late for bulbs?

faltered(Hamburg NY Z5/6)June 27, 2005

I posted this in the cottage forum, but I thought I'd try here with my "neighbors."

I just received a bunch of bulbs from a friend. Never grown any of these before.

Gladiolus White Prosperity

Gladiolus Wine & Roses

Dahlia My Love

Incarvillea Delavay

Is it too late to plant these? Would I do more harm than good? Or should I just go for it?

I did a search on the 'net and found the incarvillea is hardy to zone 5 with mulching, so that's a plus. The others will have to be dug up in the fall.

Thanks all.

Tracy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Aurore(Zone 4/5 NY)

If the glads are a winter hardy variety they may winter through. Check the internet to see if they are. My glads, that I dig each year, form a new bulb for the following year above the old one. I like to give them plenty of time, by planting early and waiting till a good frost before digging, so that the bulbs will be nice and big. Don't know how big a bulb you would get if you plant them now, but if left for another year the bulbs may not have any strength left to do anything next year. I think planting the dalhia will at least keep the bulb strong and healthy for next year even if they don't bloom. I have to dig my dalhias.

Here is a link that might be useful: my webpage

Bookmark   June 27, 2005 at 3:56PM
Aurore(Zone 4/5 NY)

Ooops tuber- dahlias have tubers not bulbs.
I've heard some people in New York say they can overwinter their glads left in the garden - too cold here. You could always try a few and see.

Bookmark   June 27, 2005 at 4:01PM
faltered(Hamburg NY Z5/6)

Ok, thanks for the advice. I don't think the glads are winter hardy. I had some trouble coming up with decent info on them. I'll just try them and see what happens. They were free, so I have nothing to lose I guess.

Tracy

Bookmark   June 27, 2005 at 4:02PM
More Discussions
wolves in ny state ???
Was wondering about the sightings of wolves in New...
lynnenychemung
Hummingbirds are back! and hungry!!!
I've had my feeders out for awhile and am finally seeing...
party_music50
Weeds
I have recently bought my great uncles house and the...
James_Christel
crepe myrtle trees
I recently moved to northern NY and I'm trying to grow...
dixieboy8833
pink yarrow gone wild
My pink yarrow is out of control. My neighbors can...
RachaelLemmon
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™