Poor Showing: Lilacs

bloomville(z4 NY)June 16, 2005

This year, my otherwise prolific lilacs bloomed very poorly. They formed buds but then never opened. I am guessing the weather confused them--they seemed to form buds quite late (due to the cold spring?) and then with the very hot and dry weather, I am guessing they didn't have what it took to bloom. Maybe 6-8 puny blossoms on each of several large lilac bushes. The buds are still there, tight and dry.

Has anyone else in upstate NY observed similar problems? Does anyone know why this is happening?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
herbalbetty

I had the same thing happen. I live at 1200' elevation, so our spring is behind those down in the valley. You have it right, it was the weather than confused the poor things. Last year we had great blooms. 2 years before that we had a killer frost on May 14 and the following year, 5 inches of snow on May 14! It's a wonder I see the lilacs bloom at all!

Bookmark   June 16, 2005 at 5:16PM
bloomville(z4 NY)

Thanks, Herbalbetty. I feel glad it's not something I did! Will look forward to next spring's lilacs. Funny, my pinxter did great!

Bookmark   June 16, 2005 at 5:39PM
adina72(z5 CNY)

It happened to mine also. I am pretty sure it was that late frost that did mine in. They all bloomed, but seemed to be half the size than normal. I haven't really done much to mine since I planted them, so this year I will be putting wood ashes on them and fertilizing them to give them a good start for next year.

Bookmark   June 17, 2005 at 4:23PM
tresbelle3

Me too. There's always next year.

Bookmark   June 18, 2005 at 12:54PM
More Discussions
Free Seed Swap & Giveaway Victor NY April 04 2015
Seed Exchange & Seed Giveaway April 04, 2015 10:00...
mrsdlight
brugmansia
I absolutely love the looks of these trumpet plants,...
younggreenthumb47
crepe myrtle trees
I recently moved to northern NY and I'm trying to grow...
dixieboy8833
growing thick stocky stems on tomatoes
how do the commercial growers get their tomatoes to...
jerome69
Double Knockout Roses in Zone 5
I'm posting under Upstate New York because it would...
birchhill
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™