giving my seedlings some sun?

lisafrommarylandApril 10, 2013

Getting ready to transplant my seedlings which are getting true leaves into larger containers. They have been under T8 growlights 18 hours a day, and doing well.
We are having a warm front here in MD for a few days so for the past 3 days I have kept my seedlings outside to get sun for a few hours. I have put them in some modest shade so they don't get burned. Anyway, I read in another post that doing so might stun their growth because they have to adapt to the varying conditions, which conflicts with an article that said that if you can use true sunlight then utilize it when you can.
So, I thought I was doing a good thing by using some sun for light. Should I just keep them strictly under grow lights until I harden them off for the garden? Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kevinitis(5)

I try to have my plants under as much natural sunlight as possible as early as possible. I find I have a much easier time hardening off the plants that way.

Bookmark   April 10, 2013 at 8:57PM
lisafrommaryland

Thank you--I appreciate your advice! I will give them warm temps and sun when i can.

Bookmark   April 10, 2013 at 9:54PM
sidhartha0209(KY_6a)

"I try to have my plants under as much natural sunlight as possible as early as possible. I find I have a much easier time hardening off the plants that way."

Ditto!

Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 10:23PM
More Discussions
1st time growing tomato seeds in plugs
Hello, this is my first time growing tomato seeds in...
Thomas Eyr
Georges chocolate tomato?
Anyone heard of Georges chocolate tomato?
skyblue52
Tomatoes from my trip to Sicily
I went back this summer to my birthplace, Sicily and...
sicilianu
The Kumato Tomato Thread
There is a litany of information across this forum...
smithmal
Better Boy or Brandy Boy?
I have Better Boy seeds and considering Brandy Boy....
shijitake
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™