How do I get rid of a woodchuck?

northcountry47June 29, 2012

I've never seen any around here before! Just in the last week, something has been munching on the carrot tops (grown in a half-barrel) and a lot of my asiatic and oriental lilies are snapped off right at ground level (they don't appear to be chewed). Yesterday I spotted a woodchuck running across the yard, so I think he may be causing the damage.

We have a Have-a-Heart trap; what would be good bait in it? Do they usually arrive in a bunch, or could he be alone? I guess the coyotes in our woods must have moved on because they used to keep the other critters away....

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
victory_tea2085(z6 Ny)

They seem to like lettuce, try that.

Bookmark   July 5, 2012 at 4:24PM
susanzone5(z5NY)

A shotgun works really well and gives great satisfaction, especially after your food crops are eaten all up.

It's illegal in NY to relocate a trapped nuisance animal. If you use a trap, you may want to drown the animal in a garbage can full of water.

I've done both and it doesn't really bother me that much. I have enough stress in my life without adding rodents to the list. lol.

Bookmark   July 18, 2012 at 6:56PM
plnelson(5)

I agree - you have to kill them. They are almost impossible to fence out if there's something inside your garden they want.

Most states don't allow you to relocate them off your property. But also be aware that car exhaust and drowning are regarded as inhumane in many states. Agway sells "gopher bombs" that you put down the burrow and they work very well, in my experience, but only WHEN you manage to seal up all the other burrow entrances. You can also shoot them in many locales.

Bookmark   September 10, 2013 at 11:30PM
bernd ny zone5

When it's illegal why then does the state permit selling traps? So it is not illegal! State, county and town do not enforce that law.
I caught a rabbit and relocated it into a park of my town just over a thruway, reasoned that I improved its habitat and also any coyote's. Woodchucks got treated by a neighbor with an air rifle. I used a handy sharp spade on one as I caught him eating my beans. It's survival, he ate my food. They dug up my garden and under the deck. New houses around me took care of any other woodchucks.

Bookmark   September 15, 2013 at 10:10AM
susanzone5(z5NY)

You can trap and kill them, you just can't relocate them to be someone else's problem.

Bookmark   September 16, 2013 at 5:13PM
bernd ny zone5

susan, those traps are called 'Have a Heart' traps, probably not to be used for killing. In my town we may not discharge guns.

This post was edited by berndnyz5 on Mon, Sep 30, 13 at 17:16

Bookmark   September 30, 2013 at 5:14PM
susanzone5(z5NY)

You can use the traps for anything you want! The name Havahart is just a name. I put the whole trap and animal in a garbage can full of water and drown it. Saves MY heart from endless stress from a rodent eating my food. Lol

Bookmark   October 12, 2013 at 9:31PM
More Discussions
growing thick stocky stems on tomatoes
how do the commercial growers get their tomatoes to...
jerome69
Used earthboxes for sale
As soon as the snow melts, I will have 15 used earthboxes...
disneynut1977
Help with ID this plant
We visited Rockport Maine in September and noticed...
p.polyxenes
brugmansia
I absolutely love the looks of these trumpet plants,...
younggreenthumb47
Anyone Use New York State Nursery?
Anyone use the New York State Nursery? What were your...
edlincoln
Sponsored Products
Robert Abbey Archer Polished Nickel Arc Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
5'x7' 100% Wool Super Kazakh Hand Knotted Geometric Design Oriental Rug Sh18242
1800 Get A Rug
Checkered Past Frame
$13.99 | Dot & Bo
CAL Lighting Bronze Floor Lamp: 3-Light 82 in. Arc Floor Lamp with Metal Shade i
Home Depot
Noguchi: Freeform Sofa Reproduction
Modern Classics Furniture
5' Poly Lumber Horizontal Porch Swing
Fifthroom.com
Softest Rug 12' x 15' - BLUE
$5,399.00 | Horchow
Charles Grande Leather Loveseat and Armchair Set Of 2 in Tan
$1,369.00 | LexMod
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™