Mun Kun Si or Choc-Anon Mango varieties?

bradfloridaAugust 19, 2011

Has anyone in Florida seen the Choc-Anon produce a winter harvest?

Also, a large rare fruit nursery in Punta Gorda, FL has the Mun Kun Si variety, and they state that it can have fruit on the tree as late as January.

Anyone heard about this?

-Brad

Port Charlotte, FL

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bsbullie

Yes, Choch Anon can have a second harvest, around November or so.

Mun Kun Si, not your most commonly found variety, is similar to the Nam Doc Mai. It can be eaten green (sweet with a crisp texture, "Mun" means crunchy) or ripe when yellow. It too can also have fruit on the tree late in the year.

Bookmark   August 19, 2011 at 12:30AM
hmhausman(FL 10B)

Heard about the miraculous winter crop that Chou Anon can put on......so far, in approximately 16 years of growinng the tree, I have never experienced it first hand.

Harry

Bookmark   August 19, 2011 at 12:12PM
bsbullie

I just said it "can" :)

Bookmark   August 19, 2011 at 2:06PM
sleep(10a/b)

I actually have both. My 3 or so year old Choc Anon from Pine Island is flowering right now, and setting some small fruit. It will be interesting to see if the fruits hold, and to see how they tolerate the summer humidity and Athracnose. I am not spraying it with copper..

I topworked my turpentine tree with Mun Khun Si about 2 1/2 years ago. It is growing quite well but so far has not held any fruit.. I tried a few at the fruit and spice park some time ago, and I really enjoyed eating them at the half green/half ripe stage..

Bookmark   August 19, 2011 at 7:59PM
ofdsurfer

My choc anon has fruited the past three winters at my house. I harvested the first fruit in November and the last ones in early January. I don't know if it helps to make it fruit in the winter but I don't let it set any fruit for the summer crop. When they get pea size I knock them off and hopefully it blooms later in the summer. So far I'm three for three when I took off the summer fruit it has bloomed again for winter fruit. Hopefully it continues.

Bookmark   August 19, 2011 at 9:31PM
hmhausman(FL 10B)

ofdsurfer:

Interesting concept.....but I am not so sure that this would not work the same way with other SE Asian varieties. It would make an interesting experiment. In any case, getting a winter crop by sacrificing your summer crop gives one some pause as to calling this mango "the miracle mango." Thanks for the input. I may try this with one of my Nam Doc Mais next year. Stay tuned.

Harry

Bookmark   August 20, 2011 at 7:50AM
mango_kush

wow, maybe I found some redemption for the choc anon I planted out, its the dog of my mango collection, I too bought it in hopes of winter mangos.

Bookmark   August 20, 2011 at 10:05AM
mangodog(palm springs 9B)

...and I'll report in the next month or so on my young August flowering Choc Anon, as I see it has a couple baby fruits already forming....

WestCoastMDog

Bookmark   August 21, 2011 at 7:05PM
bradflorida

Very interesting concept of sacrificing the summer crop.

Brad

Bookmark   August 22, 2011 at 5:19PM
pepperseed

I just noticed today that my choc anon is in bloom with tiny mangoes on one panicle after 2 years in the ground.
Keeping my fingers crossed for winter mangoes.

Bookmark   October 27, 2011 at 7:24PM
More Discussions
Is my tree a Sapote or a Sapodilla?
Hello, I am new to this forum and growing tropical...
waterfowler90
soursop tree
Hello, we have some young soursop trees and they have...
cee8
Why Doesn't My Sapodilla Ripen?
My sapodilla tree has had a good crop of fist-sized...
billbrandi
Do you have a Soursop that is producing fruit for you?
I purchased a Soursop back in 2009 and it has always...
bananafan
Avocado leaves dying
I've been growing two avocado plants for about 10 months...
leuconoe
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™