mangos with unique flavor - help

Comprotutto(Miami Beach)August 15, 2012

Hi my name is David and I just move to Miami. I am in the process of setting up a mini orchard in my backyard and need some help.

So far I have put down 2 mango trees � Glenn and Mallika. I am a foodie and enjoy a very wide variety of flavors from the most simple to the most complex. After reading the forum I sort of regret having purchased the Glenn which appears to produce less than flavorful fruits. But I still have space for 2 more mango trees. Can you guys help me pick them?

I would like at least for one of the two to be a late season one and for both to be different from a taste perspective from Glenn and Mallika to improve variety. I do not have a lot of space but I thought even if I end up getting a Kent I can still keep it at 12 foot high by pruning regularly.

For the late season one I thought to go with either Keitt or Glenn or Neelum. Which one would you recommend? Is Neelum similar in taste to Mallika?

For the fourth one I am undecided between Maha Chanook, Nam Doc Mai and Pickering. But I am open to suggestion. I would like something with a unique flavor. Thanks a bunch

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mangodog(palm springs 9B)

Hi Dave - as this topic has been widely debated and discussed over the years, why not go back to the main page - Tropical Fruit Forum - and go down to the bottom and type in "most flavorful mango" or "best tasting mango" in the little white box and you'll have a bunch of mango topics reveal themselves.

Good luck - mangoperro

Bookmark   August 16, 2012 at 5:37PM
Comprotutto(Miami Beach)

Thanks - new to the forum. Will do

Bookmark   August 16, 2012 at 9:28PM
tropicdude

Really the only way you can be sure, is to try them before you plant them, but like you, I do not have access to many fruit varieties, and have purchased trees on their reputation and description alone.

From those you listed, I think the two trees you could add, are Maha Chanok, because of its reported excellent complex flavor , and the Keitt, for being a really good late mango that is super productive and is generally disease resistant. both these trees are Medium sized and can be kept at a comfortable size.

Bookmark   August 23, 2012 at 1:53AM
More Discussions
My Chikoo (Sapodilla) is flowering!
Hello everyone! I am glad to see how my young tree...
MohammadLawati
White Sapote in a container?
Hi, Is it possible for a white Sapote in a container...
fleabernal1983
Avocado Help
Hello everyone, I recently started gardening as a hobbie....
Steelsax2015
Old problem with Miracle fruit plants
Hi everyone here! I've been trying to grow miracle...
swfx
soursop tree
Hello, we have some young soursop trees and they have...
cee8
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™