Check your shoes!!

matt_v(Z5 central NY)June 25, 2005

Greetings! Just now, I popped on my Muckboots (Garden shoes) to run some recycles out to the bin. My insteps were askew, so in a rush, I pulled them out and put my feet right in. I felt a lump against the top of my foot, but paid no attention. Then, I began to wonder...did my shoes melt? It was SO HOT today, could my beloved Muckboots have shrivelled???

I decided to investigate the lump once my chores were done. I pulled off my shoe and probed...IT MOVED!!!!!!!!!!! My shoes didn't melt, they were occupied by another life form!! It turns out a GRAY TREEFROG took up residence in my Muckboot. I luckily didn't hurt the little fellow, I would have hated to have squished him with barefeet... Lucky too is that I store my boots UPSIDE DOWN! I guess he needed a bit of shelter, but I bet he got broiled in them today..? I put him in my pond, he swam off showing me the diagnostic yellow insides of his legs.

Cool, but CHECK YOUR SHOES!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
von1(z4 NY)

Thats a good one. I thought it was going to be a slug! The thought has crossed my mind before, but I always just shove my feet into them also..
Glad you didn't squash the little guy.

Bookmark   June 25, 2005 at 9:08PM
erinluchsinger(z4 - Upstate NY)

I keep a pair of rubberboots in the office at our beef farm. Everytime I put them on, I make sure to flip them over and shake them out. I have always envisioned mice crawling up my legs. Freaks me out. So, everytime I put them on, they get a good shake out!
It's amazing that you didn't smush the little guy. I don't like surprises like that!
Erin

Bookmark   June 27, 2005 at 7:52AM
missmshell(z4 Carthage,NY)

Habitual lurker here. After living in Florida for 20 years I check all my shoes, even if they were in the house. We had a lady in the area put on shoes and a widow spider was in one and bit her toe!! I am terrified of spiders so it's a habit for me now.

Bookmark   July 3, 2005 at 8:49PM
Turtle_Haven_Farm(Z5 NY)

Bet Mr. Froggie was a bit surprised to find his new home suddenly inhabited by five pink wiggly worms LOL!!!! I always bang my shoes/boots outside. Deathly afraid of sharing a shoe with a pidey!!! - Ellen

Bookmark   July 6, 2005 at 1:28PM
More Discussions
WANTED: Group exchange in Utica/Rome area?
Hi all -- I know there are at least a few members who...
party_music50
What do you do to keep the deer from nibbling your plants?
A gal in our garden club has had a horrible time with...
jean_mdc
Need help - what will be in bloom mid-June?
I am hosting a garden tour for our local garden club...
ridgetop01
ID Critter photo
Oops, need more coffee.
wantoretire_did
Help with Viburnum... Wentworth Cranberrybush
Hello... I'm new to this site so please bear with me....
Greeneyezz
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™