control poison ivy

dk_phdJune 3, 2009

Hi,

I want to eradicate my poison ivy and keep it away. I have a big bottle of Roundup which I have not yet used. My question is, once I get rid of the PI, what can I do to keep it away? Is there a ground cover that I can plant to out-compete the PI? The PI grows along my tree line. Should I thin out the trees and let more light in? Thanks for any suggestions.

Doug

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
penny1947(z6 WNY)

I would definitely thin out the trees if you can. Last summer I got hit by PI really bad trying to clean up the mess along our property line from the junk my neighbor lets grow up and never trims. I kept telling him that there was poison ivy in that thicket and he just laughted at me so one day I went with clippers and rake and started cutting everything down that wss overgrown and of course I was pulling up the poison ivy runners by the handsful. I washed my hand real well and I also wore gloves but it didn't occur to me that when I was hauling all this junk over to the trash pile I was accumulating that the sap was toughing my clothing. I ended up completely covered in poison ivy blisters for over a month.

Penny

Bookmark   June 5, 2009 at 4:45PM
rosalinda_gw

The only thing I ever found to get rid of poison ivy is a goat. I have a real aversion to using chemicals but broke down and let my husband get some for the PI, to no avail. Carefully cutting the stems and covering the roots with a piece of old carpet seems to work best (other than the goat) but does not sound as if it would work in your or Penny's case. I have an old willow tree that came down a couple of years ago, and I would love to cut it up or burn it or whatever, but it is covered with PI so I am not sure what to do.

-Rosalinda

Bookmark   June 6, 2009 at 12:05PM
jwstell42(5 NY)

They make products specifically for Ivy - not sure if Roundup makes it but, Ortho does. I use that and it works great (generally I don't like to use chemicals, but I make an exception for poison Ivy!).

Bookmark   June 19, 2009 at 10:03AM
More Discussions
Need help - what will be in bloom mid-June?
I am hosting a garden tour for our local garden club...
ridgetop01
WANTED: Group exchange in Utica/Rome area?
Hi all -- I know there are at least a few members who...
party_music50
Weeds
I have recently bought my great uncles house and the...
James_Christel
What do you do to keep the deer from nibbling your plants?
A gal in our garden club has had a horrible time with...
jean_mdc
Used earthboxes for sale
As soon as the snow melts, I will have 15 used earthboxes...
disneynut1977
Sponsored Products
Remer by Nameeks N40 Single Hole Bathroom Faucet - REMER N40
$299.95 | Hayneedle
Ivy Polished Marble 60/40 Offset Double-Bowl Farmhouse Sink
Signature Hardware
Minka Lavery | Gyrette Ceiling Fan
YLiving.com
LockState RDJ Keyless Door Lock (Left Side Door)
Overstock.com
Sonneman | Treluci Floor Lamp
YLighting
52" Craftmade Loris Stainless Steel Ceiling Fan
Lamps Plus
Sage Buffalo Check Tier - Set of Two
$14.99 | zulily
Irene-3 Brushed Nickel 52-Inch Hugger Ceiling Fan with Hugger Canopy and Wood Bl
$463.25 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™