My latest fruit tree purchase

tropicbreezentAugust 15, 2013

I've been watching these for some time in the nursery and finally they got down to the last one. So I finally got it, Garcinia mangostana, Purple Mangosteen.

Years ago I wanted to get one but because I didn't know much about them got sold a Garcinia xanthochymus instead. Took me a couple of years to work it out.

So, got the spot worked out where it is going to go. Just need to do the ground work.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bananafan

Congrats to your new Mangosteen. The plant looks good--with a straight stem and healthy leaves. I'm sure it will do very well with your tropical climate. Heard the fruit has a lot of health benefits and they sell the juice of it in the health stores here. So, how old does the plant start to produce fruit?

Bookmark   August 15, 2013 at 11:25PM
tropicbreezent

Funny you should mention the health aspects of mangosteen. Here on GW nearly every page I visit there's an advertisement for Australian Mangosteen juice as being the answer to a super healthy life. Personally, I think adding a lot of any fruit to your diet is very beneficial, except making for you resistant to being run over by a bus.

My soil is very poor (like a lateritic gravel). So what I'll be doing with the mangosteen is drilling a large hole and filling it with a sandy loam mixed with charcoal and large animal bones.

Where I bought they tree I was told it is only a couple of years off flowering. I'm hoping, but will also be sprinkling a bit of Epsoms Salts to help.

Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 9:17PM
tylorgv

That's awesome. Good luck.

Bookmark   August 25, 2013 at 12:05PM
tropicbreezent

Thanks Tylorgv. I'm still unsure of the exact spot for it, but have until the rainy season to decide. That's when it's best to plant.

Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 4:17AM
More Discussions
Tips on rooting wax jambu
Hi Everyone, I'm attempting to root some cuttings from...
stu123
Avocado leaves dying
I've been growing two avocado plants for about 10 months...
leuconoe
soursop tree
Hello, we have some young soursop trees and they have...
cee8
Need help with mango tree
I have a tree and was wondering if in the future it...
lindalepark2006713
Where to purchase Seedless Guava Tree that ships to CA?
Hello everyone, last month, my uncle brough me two...
simon_grow
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™