WANTED: Where can I find aristolochia near dallas?

cass_fritillary(8)October 14, 2007

Hi

I am new to this forum and am hoping that someone out there can tell me where I can get some aristolochia. I live in Richardson (near Dallas) and haven't been able to find any. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Cassie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Christopher (Dallas Garden) Miller

I have some in my garden, but I got it from a friend. The caterpillars have totally devoured this year! You might try calling Northhaven Gardens and seeing if they get any in during the Spring. I think they might. Also, the Texas Discovery Gardens in Fair Park usually has a Spring sale where they feature that plant.

Bookmark   October 21, 2007 at 12:33AM
cass_fritillary(8)

Thanks,

I actually did call Northhaven and they didn't have any. They said they might in the Spring. I also talk to the head horticulturist at Discovery Gardens and found out about their sale in June. That is so far away!!

Anyway, I've marked my calendar for June and since then found some generous awesome people who are sending me some and I should get it anyday in the mail. I am actually getting one a. tomentosa and 3 a. serpentaria that I will be able to start with in Spring and hopefully will be able to get a. fimbriata in the Spring to add to them.

Right now I have 4 passiflora vines and absolutely love them and I'm looking so forward to adding the pipevine swallowtail to my yard (and many more in the future:)

Do you have any other "can't live without" butterfly plants in your yard that do well in dallas and the butterflies love?

Thanks for your advice,
Cass

Bookmark   October 21, 2007 at 2:40PM
sowngrow(TX8)

I have several small plants if you're still looking for them. I'm planning to dig them up and toss them. They're Aristolochia tomentosa.

Bookmark   November 11, 2007 at 11:32PM
cass_fritillary(8)

Oh my gosh! I just read your message and I bet I'm too late, but if you still have the a tomentosa I would like to take it off your hands!

Let me know.
Thanks,
Cassie

Bookmark   December 28, 2007 at 11:43PM
KATHYBRR6

This past Spring Lowes in Plano had some. Call the Garden Center there and ask them if and when they will get them in. Don't know which one but the lady who told me had just been on a tour of a Butterfly Garden in Plano and found it on the way home. She lives in Richardson so I bet it is on 75.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Web

Bookmark   January 13, 2013 at 9:44PM
More Discussions
WANTED: Casimiroa pringlei
I am looking for Casimiroa pringlei plants or seeds. Thanks, Ed...
katyrarefruitgrower
wanted: have: bee brush, aloysia gratissima
Xeric small treelike shrub with while flowers. Not...
Xtal
WANTED: Wanted: Satsuma seeds
Does anyone have any Satsuma seeds they could share...
Xtal
WANTED: Trade Lists Ft Worth Autumn Swap November 1 2014
I know that the weather is, as the song says, hotter...
sylviatexas1
WANTED: Ft Worth Autumn Swap Nov 1 2014 "Save the Date"
I know it's early, but the calendar is filling up fast! November...
sylviatexas1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™