Need to acidify soil

penny1947(z6 WNY)July 11, 2011

I need to acidify the soil in one planting area. Right now the soil seems to be too sterile for my buckeye tree as it is more sandy loam than anything. Any suggestions on improving the soil for this acidic tree.

Penny

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lori_ny(5)

Miracid will do it. I think pine needles and coffee grounds might be acidic too.

Bookmark   July 12, 2011 at 4:40PM
mad_gallica(zone 5 - eastern New York)

First, identify the problem. Buckeyes aren't particularly picky when it comes to pH. In other words, I grow them. What they do seem to need is plenty of water. So instead of trying to acidify the soil, I'd try to add organic matter to make it more water retentive. A fairly thick layer of mulch should do it.

Bookmark   July 12, 2011 at 6:06PM
husky004_(z5 NY)

Penny-use that worm compost!!!

Bookmark   July 17, 2011 at 7:59PM
rosalinda_gw

If you can get access to distilled water (know someone who has a dehumidifier?) use that to water with. Distilled water tends to be quite acidic (pH 5 or less) because of the co2 that gets dissolved into it during dehumidification.

Any compost/detritis from under conifers is usually also somewhat acidic.

-Rosalinda

Bookmark   July 30, 2011 at 6:54PM
penny1947(z6 WNY)

Thank you everyone. Sorry I didn't respond sooner but I was out of town and still playing catch up with my own forum, garden work etc.

I am going to send of a couple of soil samples and I do plan on amending the soil so that it will hold more moisture. Right now I think it is probably draining and drying way too fast because my penstemonds and agastaches do great in that area.

Thanks Kathy, I wondered if I should add some of the worm castings. I will definitely add that as soon as I can get all the weeds out that took over while we were away. I have also saved some mulch to top dress once I get the soil amended.

Penny

Bookmark   August 5, 2011 at 6:48PM
More Discussions
Help with Viburnum... Wentworth Cranberrybush
Hello... I'm new to this site so please bear with me....
Greeneyezz
Weeds
I have recently bought my great uncles house and the...
James_Christel
wolves in ny state ???
Was wondering about the sightings of wolves in New...
lynnenychemung
crepe myrtle trees
I recently moved to northern NY and I'm trying to grow...
dixieboy8833
WANTED: Group exchange in Utica/Rome area?
Hi all -- I know there are at least a few members who...
party_music50
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™