fruting tamarin in a pot

mostro(jax/9a)August 12, 2012

Hello all:

I've had a cutting grown tamarind tree in a pot for around three years. The pot is twelve gallons and I prune the tree regularly to keep it dense an compact. This year, for the first time, the tree has flowered multiple times and I just found a small fruit on a branch! so, I've been thinking about moving it to a larger pot, since it appears to be possible to fruit these monsters in containers.

* Does anyone have any experiences to share regarding potted tamarind trees?

* Has anyone been able to get reasonable amounts of fruit from a potted tamarind?

* was it sustainable over the years?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tropicbreezent

That's interesting. I've never thought of a potted tamarind tree. I've got quite a lot of them, but well beyond pot size now. Hope some people who have grown them in pots share their experiences.

Bookmark   August 13, 2012 at 8:21AM
mostro(jax/9a)

Yeah, I originally did not think it was possible, but the little tamarind cutting was too hard to resist, so I gave it a try. Like I said, I only have one little fruit, but the tree is still young and in a rather small pot.

So, has anyone else tried this before?

Bookmark   August 14, 2012 at 5:14PM
Doglips(8b/9a)

It looks like you get to be the guinea pig.

Let us know how it goes.

I would guess that you going to have to prune it with a chainsaw, some of the ones I've seen are huge.

Bookmark   August 21, 2012 at 12:56AM
mostro(jax/9a)

Doglips:
I've seen some huge tamarind trees as well, definitely not something that one could imagine growing in a pot. in reality however, those trees probably took a century to reach that size. In fact, my potted tamarind is just moderately vigorous, much less than my mango or citrus trees.
Now, the tree is beautiful, it looks like a miniature version of a full size one. I'll try to post a picture some time (time permitting).

Bookmark   August 21, 2012 at 7:04AM
More Discussions
My Pitaya (Dragon Fruit) in SoCal
Here was my Dragon Fruit plants in Pots back in May....
enocchen
Prune MIstake on Guava Tree
I thought my guava tree was dead. It had grown about...
Valdo
How to protect your tropical fruit trees from freezing?
Here in 9b fl, we're expecting some hours of freezing...
bananafan2
Cool climate Mango flowering.
Notice the flower structure seems very compact? Rootstalk...
stanofh
Need help with mango tree
I have a tree and was wondering if in the future it...
lindalepark2006713
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™