WANTED: Bamboo

willow1987(8)November 9, 2010

I have some canna plants that I would love to trade for bamboo locally. The cannas are cleopatra. I dont mind small bamboo plants. Thank you

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cooking_in_texas

I have bamboo - you really want to get it started? I use it for a screen from the road, dried as fire started, handles for my outdoor cooking equipment, tree lopers (just attach the saw and go) - among other things. I have all the bamboo starters you could possibly want. I'll trade for cannas for my daughter's yard. Live in Blanco - with office in San Marcos - Where are you?

Bookmark   November 9, 2010 at 9:40PM
willow1987(8)

Hi i'm wanting to make a privacy screen and I've been looking for some around my area. Wow, I live in Plano just north of Dallas

Bookmark   November 10, 2010 at 12:18PM
jaime_anita

I live in the midcities area have plenty of bamboo,,,as much as you could want....do your cannas have purple leaves?

Bookmark   November 11, 2010 at 1:38AM
willow1987(8)

Hi Jaime. My cannas have mostly green leaves. Some have a purple strip on them. The flowers are both red and yellow, or yellow with red spots.

Bookmark   November 11, 2010 at 8:43AM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

You might consider trying to find some clumping bamboo so you could get the screen advantage, but not the problems that occur down the line with running bamboo.

You can probably get some good ideas by looking around on the bamboo forum. They tell you what you have to do to contain running bamboo as well as what varieties don't run. My son has had to spend a lot of energy as well as money on Roundup to try and keep the running bamboo the neighbors planted from taking over his property. He has battled it for years. Nothing deters it for long.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bamboo Forum

Bookmark   November 12, 2010 at 5:21PM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

I just looked and you've already been there ...

Bookmark   November 12, 2010 at 5:25PM
willow1987(8)

Yes were I'm at now, I wouldnt mind it taking over lol. There is so much muddy clear areas in my yard and there is 0 privacy. I saw one area near me that had a grove of bamboo that has been there for years but its a business zoning area and i dont know how to get in contact with the owners

Bookmark   November 12, 2010 at 7:37PM
fairview

Remember, if you introduce a running type of bamboo and it gets away from you into the neighbors yard and if the neighbors file a lawsuit you could be very easily found liable for introducing a noxious weed or pest and found liable to incur the costs of controlling this now nasty pest for an extended/permanent time period. Simply because the bamboo you planted was already growing in Texas, that doesn't infer you can transplant without the potential for repercussions.

Bookmark   November 19, 2010 at 7:14PM
More Discussions
WANTED: Newbie seed help
Hi I have just started container gardening in my tiny...
schywalker
wanted: have: bee brush, aloysia gratissima
Xeric small treelike shrub with while flowers. Not...
Xtal
WANTED: Wanted: Satsuma seeds
Does anyone have any Satsuma seeds they could share...
Xtal
Wanted: Fruit Tree Cuttings
Anyone have true type fruit cuttings they would like...
Gaia's Sacred Seeds
WANTED: Ft Worth Autumn Swap Nov 1 2014 "Save the Date"
I know it's early, but the calendar is filling up fast! November...
sylviatexas1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™