WANTED: Wanted-Help! with brug cutting!

chickenmom(7b/8a, DFW, TX)November 2, 2008

I received a cutting of a white brug at the swap. It was already a bit limp. I was told to remove the bottom leaves and just put it in a pot with moist soil. The top is so limp and hasn't perked up at all. I did the rooting hormone thing and put the pot in a plastic bag to try to keep it moist. Should I chop off the limp top and hope to get a plant from the stem? I'd never even heard of "Brugs" until finding this site and they look lovely. I hope to keep this one alive. Advice would be appreciated!! Chickenmom (Debby)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weenerdogg(Zone 7b)

I had never heard of them either. They seem to have quite a following though. You may want to ask the people on the Brug board as well.

Bookmark   November 2, 2008 at 11:01PM
patsy_b(z8 Tx)

Try misting it. Give it a few days and then if the top starts to turn brown just cut off what looks like it is dying. Do not give up on it as long as you have green stem. I have had them to droop for several days before starting to perk up. They usually root so easily that I do not even use rooting hormone. Misting really helps.
Patsy

Bookmark   November 3, 2008 at 6:40AM
element321(8)

mine are doing the same thing. If they are sitting water they should be fine. Carrie says they are easy to root w/ water. They are survivors.

Bookmark   November 4, 2008 at 2:26AM
chickenmom(7b/8a, DFW, TX)

My brug cutting just kept looking worse and worse. It was down to a brown hollow stick in the pot of soil. Tonight I decided to give it up for dead, but, just in case, carefully excavated the soil around the stick instead of just pulling it up. The very bottom of the stick still looks a little green and has some white lumps where the rooting hormone had been. So, I've now stuck it in water and will see if it arises from the dead. If so, it could definitely be classed a survivor! If not, I hope to beg another cutting at the spring swap!

Bookmark   December 23, 2008 at 9:02PM
chickenmom(7b/8a, DFW, TX)

Nooooooo! It died. And I was so hoping to get a real, live plant out of it!

Bookmark   January 1, 2009 at 11:12PM
seamommy(7bTX)

Debby, did you get that one from me? If so I will give you another one. All the ones that I gave away were already rooted and just needed to be watered, but hey, sometimes you lose one. I got one that was a tiny little stem only 4" long and about as big as a pencil lead and it died. The ones that I was swapping were 12+ inches long and about the circumfrence of my thumb. Cheryl

Bookmark   January 13, 2009 at 3:33PM
More Discussions
WANTED: Garden buddies in Dallas area
Hi! I would greatly appreciate anyone who has sun perennials...
mrao77
WANTED: Rose Cuttings...Miniatures and Antiques
Looking for cuttings or small rooted plants of Miniature...
txaggiegirl
WANTED: Jujubetexas@
Please put me in contact with JUJUBETEXAS of San Marcos,...
jaxsanmarcos
WANTED: Wanted: Satsuma seeds
Does anyone have any Satsuma seeds they could share...
Xtal
sylviatexas is now irisfan42. don't know why...
but I couldn't get sylviatexas to work. However,...
sylviatexas2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™