Has anyone seen this before?

AndrewHallvilleApril 18, 2013

One of the limbs was going to fall over so one of the other limbs grabbed it to hold it up(it did end up falling because of a heavy tomato)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
missingtheobvious(Blue Ridge 7a)

I've seen a petiolule (which I hope is the correct term: the stem of a leaflet) twist around another petiolule or perhaps rachis. It seems to happen at inconvenient times (inconvenient for me, not the plant).

But I'm real sure the leaflet and/or petiolule had no intention of supporting the other compound leaf ... cause I really don't think tomato plants can think ... let alone tomato leaves.

I assume it's a built-in tendency of the petiolule to curve around anything it touches. That sort of thing is common to vining plants. Think morning glory stems, cucumber tendrils, etc.

Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 9:14PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

That sort of thing is common to vining plants.

Agree. Vines will curl around all sorts of things, anything they can reach. And as a breeze brings them into contact with another branch they will twist and snag anyway they can.

Dave

Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 9:58PM
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

triffids :-)

Bookmark   April 19, 2013 at 12:09AM
AndrewHallville

I don't know if this picture is clear but the plant is holding up the other branch. And I am very much aware leaves don't think.

Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 8:13PM
charlieboring

It all goes back to Darwin's theory of "survival of the fitest." Tomato plants that are more errect get the most sun and therefore have a tendency to produce more and more viable seeds. This results in more survivability over time. These plants have developed a tendency to support their branches thus are more survivable.

Or, my own hypothesis is that the one holding up the other felt sorry for her and just tried to help. Don't laugh; there is no proof that tomato plants do not have feelings! You have to love them.

Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 6:49AM
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

triffids? tap tap tap, is this thing on. Oh well, guess there no other old guys out there, or maybe it's just not that funny ;-/ Ed

Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 2:01PM
sautesmom

Well I LAUGHED, anyway.
:)

Carla in Sac

Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 9:12PM
zucchini(5a ONT)

Yes, was going to reply to 'triffids...having watched the body snatchers last night..all those lively gardens in sci-fi....and here we are...the first time I saw a tomato horn worm I was sure it came from another planet...cheers to the season..; - > Martha Zucchini

Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 9:17AM
More Discussions
Better Boy vs Brandy Boy
The fruit test - - - we planted equal quantity of both...
hudson___wy
Can I prevent mealy tomatoes?
I cut open my first ripen tomato and it was totally...
snoop92
How do I stabilize a possible hybrid?
Hi, I am in New Zealand where heirloom seeds are relatively...
Microphobik
Row Covers for Frost Protection on early tomatoes?
I'm in southeast Ohio and I'm wanting to plant tomatoes...
hockingapple
Burpee Jersey Boy and Summer Girl
I just got these seeds in the mail this past week,...
thebutcher
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™