Japanese beetles this year - good or bad?

gottagarden(z5 western NY)July 30, 2011

One good thing this year is that there are so many fewer Japanese beetles. Not sure if it's the drought or the flood in the spring. I've had terrible problems in past years, but this year just a small horde.

Is it just me? How are your JBs this year?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
booberry85(5)

Not just you. I've squished a few, but it really hasn't been bad this year. They used to decimate my blackberries & beans, but not this year. They've definitely been nibbled on but not destroyed.

Bookmark   July 30, 2011 at 10:16PM
organic_chief(5)

I had a few at the begining of their hatch, but they have tapered off sharply. Thank you mother nature!

Bookmark   July 31, 2011 at 8:14PM
husky004_(z5 NY)

They were brutal around me this year, they munched the heck outta my cannas, Im not crazy about picking them so I just usually let them go till they are gone, which seems like they are finally done. I suspect some of my neighbors have those darn beetle bags.

Bookmark   August 4, 2011 at 10:05PM
penny1947(z6 WNY)

I have to say that they were WAY down for me this year. I knocked a few into a cup of soapy water and then hung the cup close to the plants that are affected the most which is usually the bee balm, butterfly bush and Rose of sharon. I left the stinky cup there and no more beetles. I have also heard from others around the country on my hummingbird forum that there count was way down too.

Penny

Bookmark   August 5, 2011 at 6:21PM
More Discussions
Help with Viburnum... Wentworth Cranberrybush
Hello... I'm new to this site so please bear with me....
Greeneyezz
ID this Critter?
These are showing up on my Joe Pye Weed in the early...
wantoretire_did
growing thick stocky stems on tomatoes
how do the commercial growers get their tomatoes to...
jerome69
Help with ID this plant
We visited Rockport Maine in September and noticed...
p.polyxenes
Favorite Nursery in Capital Region
What's your favorite and why? Where is it located? I...
GardenMomma11
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™